S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM EMS Tuning - how hard?

Old 04-24-2008 | 04:46 AM

Default AEM EMS Tuning - how hard?

I made 2 small changes (Toda Header vs stock and a new intake filter at the end of my AEM intake (i already had the AEM last time it was tuned but I changed to a slightly different filter) and I was told it would be 2 hours of tuning to retune my AEM EMS....???

that seems awfully long for 2 fairly small changes....?

how hard is the s2000 to tune.... I have a stock F22C with AEM intake, Toda Header and a resonator where the cat used to be that basically turnsdown (no mufflers).... everything else is stock (stock valvetrain, stock bore, stock compression, stock throttle body, etc....).

how the hell can it take 2 hours to tune my engine? Plus it was already tuned and only needs a quick retune for the 2 slightly different parts....?
Old 04-24-2008 | 05:40 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

If it were easy, you'd be doing it yourself.
Old 04-24-2008 | 07:23 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Scot,Apr 24 2008, 07:46 AM
I made 2 small changes (Toda Header vs stock and a new intake filter at the end of my AEM intake (i already had the AEM last time it was tuned but I changed to a slightly different filter) and I was told it would be 2 hours of tuning to retune my AEM EMS....???

that seems awfully long for 2 fairly small changes....?

how hard is the s2000 to tune.... I have a stock F22C with AEM intake, Toda Header and a resonator where the cat used to be that basically turnsdown (no mufflers).... everything else is stock (stock valvetrain, stock bore, stock compression, stock throttle body, etc....).

how the hell can it take 2 hours to tune my engine? Plus it was already tuned and only needs a quick retune for the 2 slightly different parts....?
its not that its hard, but it does take time. forinstance, my buddy and i just put an aem ems in my car and to tune just part throttle and wot af it was 1.5 hours of street driving. and i still have my timing on the timid side of performance. i still need to grab 2 hours dyno time to dial everything in. the dyno is the best way to tune it.

it takes two hours on a dyno becuase first he has to get a base line. then start adding or subtracting fuel and see how it reacts, then add or subtract timing to see how it reaacts, then check knock, you do want the most out of your setup right? but all this is just for wot. then he has to tune part throttle so that your not killing gas or runnin lean in the area that you drive prolly the most.

2 hours is the norm for a tune. regardless if you change a little or change a lot, its still a retune. and you cant rush the steps.

i would recommend if you dont want to pay someone for two hours, hook up your laptop and get acclimated to the settings, windows, and how it works. then rent a dyno for two hours, and learn it and tune it. yoru still paying for dyno time, but it will be a bit less then if you paid for dyno time and the experts time.

by the way, what timing are you running at wot? i took the stock map in the aem and took out 2 degrees across the board to be safe while i drive around. af is at 14.7ish part throttle and 13.2-13.7 wot. knock peak was 1.7 volts. i know theres way more room, just have to make time at dyno.
Old 04-24-2008 | 07:35 AM

My peak timing is 27 degrees at 6000 RPMs but mostly it's about 26 after that. Adding more timing did nothing or very little for me.
Old 04-24-2008 | 07:36 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Retard.
Old 04-24-2008 | 07:36 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

I should clarify...

Your timing.
Old 04-24-2008 | 09:16 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by carrera4,Apr 24 2008, 10:35 AM
My peak timing is 27 degrees at 6000 RPMs but mostly it's about 26 after that. Adding more timing did nothing or very little for me.
im at about 22 right now from 5k up. when i get some dyno time, i figure i will dial in the af, then start to bump timing and see what happens. what are your af numbers like wiht the 26 degrees of timing? wait, dont you have a dyno somewhere around here?
Old 04-24-2008 | 09:54 AM

Tunning usually takes up to an hour, you also have to consider you are getting charged for setting up as well. Takes a good 5-15 minutes to set up on the dyno with tie downs, then put the o2 sensor on your muffler or o2 bung, then to set loads, enter car info and weigh, etc., etc.

Also the AEM class is a bit expensive so people usually charge more for tunning programs like Hydra, AEM, or something like a Emanage piggy back. It's not a free program like Chrome or any of those other systems out there.

Pay for the two hours of tunning, it's worth it.
Old 04-24-2008 | 12:15 PM

Also if you took it to get "retuned" by a different tuner than originally than the new tuner most likely would re-tune most of it to his likings..... every tuner is different.
Old 04-24-2008 | 04:03 PM

Re-tuning could take as little as an hour plus setup time (probably two hours total) or as long as 4 hours. It depends on who the tuner is, how fast they are, how thorough they are, and if any problems crop up. You cannot replicate on the street what a good tuner can do on a dyno. You can come close though. For your mods, a quick check of the AFR and knock should be enough to let you know if you NEED a retune, or if you just WANT one to maximize your modifications.

Tim

Quick Reply: AEM EMS Tuning - how hard?