S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM Cold Air Intake Question

Old 11-19-2002, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if it makes a difference to anyone but the AEM is the only CAI that is CARB legal.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:46 PM

What and where is the cheapest price of this CAI in USA?
I dont think there is a distributor here
Old 11-19-2002, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by honda9krpm
What and where is the cheapest price of this CAI in USA?
I dont think there is a distributor here
Which CAI?
Old 11-20-2002, 05:39 AM

Originally posted by reds2
Don't know if it makes a difference to anyone but the AEM is the only CAI that is CARB legal.
Comptech's CAI is CARB legal.

-YS
Old 11-20-2002, 07:04 AM

To all: First, here in Oklahoma, we do have unexpected thunderstorms that dump much rain in a hurry. So even if I don't intend to drive my S2000 in the rain, it happens sometimes. We have pretty poor roads and drainage, so big "puddles" are common, that can easily splash consierable water up into the engine bay. That' my problem with those low hanging CAIs. And others have pretty much said that bypass valves take away whatever gains the CAI provides.

Second, I have no doubt that the PRM is a "player" in my consideration. I printed pics of its instalation, compared them with my engine bay, and it's clear to me.

Third, Bash, where did you get you Injen "knock-off" and how can I contact them to see what they have?

Fourth, and finally, Is there anybody out there who has installed the Coastal Metals CAI (or whatever it is) who can report on its performance?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 11-20-2002, 09:33 AM

Richard, here is the link to the ordering thread:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=84128

It's a relatively new GB and although Brandon hasn't been a pillar of customer service in updating us or the thread, I'm guessing there are still some left in this GB. At the top of that thread are links to the two previous threads where it all got started. There are pics in the previous threads. Note that sometimes it's referred to as an AEM style and sometimes Injen. I'm not exactly positive what brand CAI was originally sent to be copied but I think they're essentially the same design. The only difference seems to be the choice of filter which influences the engine note.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by bash
Richard, here is the link to the ordering thread:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=84128

It's a relatively new GB and although Brandon hasn't been a pillar of customer service in updating us or the thread, I'm guessing there are still some left in this GB. At the top of that thread are links to the two previous threads where it all got started. There are pics in the previous threads.

Good luck.
Bash-

Does that CAI put the air cleaner in the fender liner/fender cavity?

-YS
Old 11-20-2002, 09:51 AM

Richard,
this is just my opinion, but I don't know how much the CM will do for sound...another fringe benfit of a CAI ( a very nice one I may add). Realize it is the stock box, with an extra hole, and some dryer vent hose.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:08 AM

YS, no. It's just like the Injen/AEM designs and draws air from beneath the radiator.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:19 AM

Tenblade:

I'm not really looking for sound, here. It's fine with just my K&N filter and stock box. What I'm looking for is performance enhancement (acceleration, gas mileage, and all). Once, I drove my car around for one tank of gas with the stock airbox top off. I know now that if I had made some timed full throttle runs, experts say it would have been slower (from excess heat being inducted?). But throttle response in everyday driving was much better, and I got 25.5 mpg, compared to the 22.5 I usually get in the same suburban driving pattern. But the sound was raw, to me, and my dealer threatened me with the death penalty if I didn't put it back on! (Due to lack of protection from splashed water, maybe.) Then, people have scared me to death about hydrolock from some aftermarket CAI systems which, due to our local weather and road conditions, COULD be a problem. That's why I keep comming back to the CM unit like a broken record! And, I keep asking, has anybody instaled one of these, and how is it doing?

Thanks,
Richard

Quick Reply: AEM Cold Air Intake Question