S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM Cold Air Intake Question

Old 11-17-2002, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM Cold Air Intake Question

Can someone tell me what the realistic gains in HP are when installing an AEM cold air intake? Does it make a big enough difference vs. the OEM filter? Thanks
Old 11-17-2002, 09:45 AM

Yes, its definitely worth it if you aren't incredibly concerned with the location of the AEM filter.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it's worth it. Doesn't do much to peak horsepower but added +20 hp and +10 ft/lbs at midrange (VTEC crossover). It's for an S2K right? If so, really helps low to mid end punch in this car.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:59 AM

With the AEM CAI, how is hydrolocking avoided? I am very interested in finding a SAFE way of increasing the volume of air available to my K&N air filter, as I feel that the 2 sq. in. or so inlet on the stock filter box is insufficient. I drove my S2000 briefly with just the top of the stock box removed, and could feel some additional midrange pull. By the way, the car is bone stock except for the K&N. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 11-17-2002, 11:06 AM

dolebludger, although it adds a lovely mid-range growl to the engine note, most (myself included) have detected a loss in power with the airbox cover removed. Regarding safety against water intake, there are a few CAIs on the market that draw air from the fender area rather than beneath the radiator that seem to offer greater protection. However, the one that comes to mind (Comptech) is rather costly, albeit quite attractively designed. Additionally, I believe the AEM CAI has an add-on safety feature to prevent water intake.
Old 11-17-2002, 11:23 AM

The AEM has an optional bypass valve that basically puts a gap in the intake, so when the water blocks off or submerges the filter there is increased resistance so the air ceases to come thru the submerged end and sucks from the bypass valve that is more in line with the radiator as far as height goes. If you really go thru some deep water nothing will save you, including the stock airbox. You would be submerged totally before that happened though
Old 11-17-2002, 11:35 AM

Wouldn't be going through any really deep water, but the CAI's that have the intake behind the grill worry me due to the possibility of splashing from the vehicle ahead of me, or just sucking in rain. As an alternative, K&N makes something called an Aircharger that doesn't look like a true CAI, but merely replaces the stock box and hose to throttle body, and leaves the cone filter more exposed, but in about the same location. Are these effective at all at increasing power?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 11-17-2002, 11:58 AM

You should really use the search function to find answers to questions like these (i.e., questions that have been asked and answered more than 1000 times already), but here's the answer once again...

Old 11-17-2002, 02:06 PM

This may be a stupid question but............. where is the 240HP that this car is supposed to have?
It looks like the gains from a cold air intake are hardly worth the investment, or are you seeing somthing that I am not?
Old 11-17-2002, 02:35 PM

First to the Reverend: Sorry, I did not know the wealth of info available from using the board's search function, just by typing in "CAI". But thanks for the Dyno chart.

Second, to Coffee42: The horsepower shown on the chart is to the rear wheels, not at the shaft where the 240 is measured. But it looks to me also that these CAI units aren't producing, at least not on the dyno. Some of them have a mild "ram air" effect that would only produce if the car were moving, but some don't. I'm searching around to see if anyone has a report on actual 0 - 60 and quarter mile runs comparing these units to stock before spending any money on them.

Thanks,
Richard

Quick Reply: AEM Cold Air Intake Question