S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM Cai - Wet filter

Old 09-27-2012, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM Cai - Wet filter

Hey guys..

So im a bit worried about my AEM cold air setup. I recently used a hole saw and cut a small hole in the plastic lining in behind the grill to try and improve air flow to the filter. I was driving in rain yesterday, so once i got home i reached in and the air filter was soaked. I know even before the hole was cut in the lining, water was still getting to the filter, but i just couldnt reach in and grab it previously. I do have a bypass valve installed.

Question is, should i worry about the filter being wet? Like i said, i do have a bypass valve. I can see the valve really only helping if i submerge the filter. It being quite wet worries me a bit.

There are so many different conflicting reports online on this topic. A lot of people stating its not an issue unless submerged while others are saying they'd be worried about a very minute amount of water.

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water is not compressable so i would'nt want any of it getting into my engine.

This very reason is why i decided to spend the money i did on my PWDJDM intake because there is no risk for drawing water into the engine.

I have seen a few time people posting about a mesh net that goes over the filter that is supposed to help out a lot to keep water out.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:22 AM

They make a water bypass valve for their intakes. I had an AEM CAI for 5 yrs living in New Orleans where it rains extremely often and heavy and never once had a problem. I would highly advise this simple adon to the intake for peace of mind. I'll see if I can dig it up but I remember sometime around 2003ish seeing a video of them completely submerging their intake and showing the bypass valve not letting any water get through.

http://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htm
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by hkspowers
They make a water bypass valve for their intakes. I had an AEM CAI for 5 yrs living in New Orleans where it rains extremely often and heavy and never once had a problem. I would highly advise this simple adon to the intake for peace of mind. I'll see if I can dig it up but I remember sometime around 2003ish seeing a video of them completely submerging their intake and showing the bypass valve not letting any water get through.

http://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htm
hey thanks guys ... yea i already have the bypass valve. I was just concerned with the wet filter and the bypass valve not kicking in unless completely submerged. I keep hearing i should be fine even if the filter gets wet. Was just hoping to get some peace of mind from some fellow 2ker's
Old 09-27-2012, 02:08 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

You can not hydro lock a motor with a wet filter. The entire filter would need to be under water to suck in enough water to blow a motor.