S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM CAI temp measurements.

Old 08-08-2002, 07:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]XViper,

Do you have your fake brake duct cut out where your AEM filter is located?
Old 08-08-2002, 07:19 AM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]
No, I don't but I have a hole cut in the side divider leading into that filter compartment just in front of the rad.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]

Do you think that you could be generating some vaccuum in your pipe due to the blocked brake duct, or due to the JR filter, that causes your IT to fall below ambient?
Old 08-08-2002, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg, does the Thermotec stuff you used have a rated R-factor? I know the stuff xviper used does, or at least the stuff I picked up like it does. The R factor will be pretty much the end-all to the debate over what material insulates better.

I'll try and take a pic of my wrapped stocker- I used the same stuff xviper did and got it to look better (not sure if it's something I did, the stuff I bought, or what).

Greg, I have Dallas Semi "i-Buttons" that datalog temps. They only take a measurement every minute, but for an extended highway run with varying speeds it's possible to do some serious datalogging. I've also got a Tektronix dual-channel temp meter, if I can find where I put the bastard...
Old 08-08-2002, 07:40 AM
Former Sponsor

[B]
I think you are correct about the insulation @ speed.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:46 AM

INSTALLMENT #2
I did 2 more rather mundane trips (to and from work).

Run #2:
Car had been sitting in the garage all afternoon since Run #1.
Ambient - 24.2*
IT - 35.0*
In less than 2 minutes after leaving home, IT was down to ambient.
Observations the same as per Run #1 UNTIL ................
The last 9 minutes of my drive, the sun disappeared and it started to rain. This lowered the "traffic level" ambient temp to 14* within 2 minutes. Just before the start of the rain, IT was at about 22*. For those 9 minutes, the IT did NOT come down but stayed at 22*.
I will hazard a "guess" as to why this happened. Once the tube and insulation acquires a certain temp, it can only shed so much heat, beyond which the insulation does its job in reverse by maintaining a "threshold" temp. It can keep heat out buy it can also keep heat in the pipe AND in the insulation itself.

Run #3:
Car sat outside overnight.
Morning temp was 8*.
Nothing new to report. At no time did the IT rise to more than 2* above ambient (stopped at light).

I'm waiting for a "hot" day to do one more run before I take off the insulation to do phase 2.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by marcucci
Greg, does the Thermotec stuff you used have a rated R-factor? I know the stuff xviper used does, or at least the stuff I picked up like it does. The R factor will be pretty much the end-all to the debate over what material insulates better.
I would expect that it is rated, but I really don't even know where it came from. I bought the left over tubing that Dave had.

Originally posted by marcucci
Greg, I have Dallas Semi "i-Buttons" that datalog temps. They only take a measurement every minute, but for an extended highway run with varying speeds it's possible to do some serious datalogging. I've also got a Tektronix dual-channel temp meter, if I can find where I put the bastard...
I have been interested in doing some tests with these, but I don't know much about them. Where would they go inside the pipe?

Do you have any ideas on measuring the absolute pressure in front of the TB?
Old 08-08-2002, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by gernby

So do you agree that my IT might be higher due to some additional "ram air" effect?
Hard to say. Even with the fake duct opened up, there are still quite a few holes in that compartment. I'm not so sure if you would get any sort of ram effect at all. I just don't know. Another explanation might be a variation in calibration of your thermometers. These things aren't exactly scientifically accurate (but close enough for what we're doing). I'm not that concerned about precise, empirical data as I am more concerned about seeing a "trend" and a difference between insulated and non-insulated. I just want to see if my 400 Cannuck bucks for the AEM was actually worth it. I know I can already "feel" a difference. I thought some visual proof would be interesting for all to see.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:03 AM
Former Sponsor

[B]
Another explanation might be a variation in calibration of your thermometers.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not opening up the area around the intake filter on the CAI's (not necessarily saying cut the front duct) seems to cause increased intake vacuum at high engine speeds (an extra 1" of vacuum or so). This was on the dyno of course, but its conceivable that such a restriction might translate to the road (those cars without cutting also made less power).

On the topic of intake air temps, I also highly suggest measuring the temp through the OBDII system using the IAT. While it does show higher numbers due to intake manifold heat, its also much more representative of what the engine actually sees and how the ECU measures temp (and therefore compensates for it). A significant reduction in air temp at the filter or in the intake pipe will still show a significant change in the IAT reading. An additional upside of measuring the IAT is that you can datalog it with some relatively inexpensive PC software.

UL

Quick Reply: AEM CAI temp measurements.