S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

aem air bypass valve do you really need one?

Old 05-16-2003, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bullshit,

i went through what i thought was a 3 in deep puddle (had no choice) at idle, it was about 9 in. deep. the car stalled and i pushed it over to a parking lot. took the intake off and there was about 1/8th in. deep water in the manifold. i didnt rev, none of that shit. i am not dumb douglas, i have seen a bypass valve work in first person so you. i am simply telling him that it is $50 or $3000. which one would you choose?
Old 05-16-2003, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by dereks2000
bullshit,

i went through what i thought was a 3 in deep puddle (had no choice) at idle, it was about 9 in. deep. the car stalled and i pushed it over to a parking lot. took the intake off and there was about 1/8th in. deep water in the manifold. i didnt rev, none of that shit. i am not dumb douglas, i have seen a bypass valve work in first person so you. i am simply telling him that it is $50 or $3000. which one would you choose?
Well that's why I bought it...... I read about this guy who owns a vette
and has a snorkel type intake ..... And got his motor hydrolocked
so that's why I figured it was a no brainier.... But I'm also concern
about the hole loose of power thing.... I mean is that true too....???
Old 05-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by dereks2000
bullshit,

Did your engine hydrolock? You have stated that "you have seen it work", and then you said this. How often do you drive through puddles with hydrolock potential? If it isn't clear, I doubt your experience...
Old 05-16-2003, 04:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

derek, I'm calling complete BS on your story. If you idled into a puddle, your engine would choke in an instant and cut off, NOT suck up water...our engines just don't have the power at such low rpms to do what you're claiming. Also, if you had 1/8" standing water in your manifold, then obviously you drank a LOT of water and your engine would have locked and thrown a rod/piston...to say otherwise means one thing only...the ENTIRE story is not being told or facts have been modified and/or missing.

Also, how do you know the bypass valve works...have you actually been looking in the engine when water covers the filter and opens the valve? I doubt it
Old 01-05-2004, 02:05 PM

I had a AEM CAI on my GSR with a bypass valve. I was driving to a friends house and thought I knew the road but I didnt. Ran through a puddle probably 8 inches deep, water poured into the car, I knew it had to have gotten to my intake, but the engine kept running. Got to his house, removed the intake, the filter was soaked and the pipe was wet all the way up to the bypass valve. IT even has video of them submerging a CAI into water on an NSX, it worked.

They may reduce hp but THEY WORK.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:42 PM

i know it does work, but yet, i rarely drive my car out, but in the back of my mind i think its a waste of money. this being because, i have an alternative car, this is just a car i can just drive out on weekends, plus it has limited insurance miles. any of you guys have limited miles for insurance?
Old 01-06-2004, 02:56 PM

My opinion is with or without a bypass valve, do not go WOT in the rain. Steer away from puddles, and keep the revs down.............................comments please.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:23 PM

IMO, it doesnt make a shits difference what RPM youre at if you submerge your intake.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:12 PM

If you're really concerned about HL, the I guess the conclusion should be;

1. Get the Bypass if you ONLY like the look/sound of the AEM, because the HP gained by having a CAI is lost.

2. Don't get the Bypass.

3. Get another Intake.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:24 PM

AEM and Comptech pretty much dominate the market dont they? I mean, without spending an arm and a leg? Comptech wants 369 PLUS a filter for theirs! Thats ridiculous. There has to be a happy median.

Quick Reply: aem air bypass valve do you really need one?