S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Advice request -- rear end clicking

Old 05-31-2005, 10:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mbilderback,May 31 2005, 10:46 AM
If you overtorque the spindle nuts, don't you run the risk of damaging your wheel bearing?
Ordinarily, yes. However, the ones used on the S2000 are pressed in and are not as likely to be affected by the torque on the wheel hub. What the clicking can do is to cause additional wear in the splines where the axle and hub mate.
The "traditional" wheel bearings were done by tightening the nut to the point where the tire no longer turned, then you backed off the nut about a 1/4 turn till the tire did turn. That was the kind that you did not overtighten.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you overtorque the spindle nuts, don't you run the risk of damaging your wheel bearing?
that's my concern as well. i doubt that modest over torquing will strip either the nut or threads on the shaft, or yield the materials. i cannot know this for sure though, so i have not gone this path (nor have i strongly considered it).

Ordinarily, yes. However, the ones used on the S2000 are pressed in and are not as likely to be affected by the torque on the wheel hub. What the clicking can do is to cause additional wear in the splines where the axle and hub mate.
hrm. i definitely need to look at that assembly a bit more carefully in my helms.

so, if i'm understanding this (and based on what i'm seeing from a quick look at the parts explosion at Majestic), if this dies - i'm out a wheel hub, outer CV, and possibly an axle? i don't like that prognosis.

either or -- called the shop manager today -- they did not grease the threads or behind the nut when it was done, but said there was grease 'around there' coming out of the axle, etc. i'm going to just suck it up, buy a high torque wrench, the 36 mm nut, and do it myself.

i'll update this thread w/ the results afterwards. it may take me a couple days to get this done.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the same thing about the caliper shift.....kinda weird. They said that they were going to get to the bottom of it. As far as the clutch buzz goes, they already tested for it once, and said everything was normal. Now that I know what normal is supposed to sound like, I can call them on their . How difficult is it to change the clutch on this car? In case they will not fix it. Any "how to's" on this? (search turned up nothing)

thanks

John
Old 05-31-2005, 05:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is the "How To" on the clutch fluid bleed:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118878

Also, here is the "How To" on changing the clutch:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry1036057

For future reference, these and many, many other "How To" threads are listed here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108435
Old 06-01-2005, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW....that is a LOT of work.... How much for an '02+ clutch assembly? Honda wants $1100 to do the actual change (parts and everything included). I am not sure I want to do it myself, because I think that pretty much anything I touch in the process will lose warranty.

As far as the clicking noise. Honda found that my rear calipers were bad. That explains the sticking rear brake, and supposedly the clicking noise. We will see when they replace the brakes.

thanks guys

John
Old 06-06-2005, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either or -- called the shop manager today -- they did not grease the threads or behind the nut when it was done, but said there was grease 'around there' coming out of the axle, etc. i'm going to just suck it up, buy a high torque wrench, the 36 mm nut, and do it myself.

i'll update this thread w/ the results afterwards. it may take me a couple days to get this done.
well, i performed this job this weekend. it seems to have resolved the click. everything was generously greased (nut, threads, shaft, seating area) however i did decide to go slightly higher than the 220 ft-lbs. i calculated (rough estimate) the numbers, and saw what headroom i had. i went with a number i felt comfortable with... i won't list it here or via PM lest someone try to imitate me and screw their stuff up. it wasn't much extra, and was probably within the error range of my wrench. as Xviper said in a previous post, given the nut and shaft size, a little extra doesn't seem to be of concern.

those of you who helped, thanks for your assistance.