S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Advice request -- rear end clicking

Old 05-28-2005, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice request -- rear end clicking

about a year ago, i had the clicking start, both sides. no problem... found the TSB, borrowed a torque wrench and 36 mm socket and did it myself. problem solved. (spindle nut not replaced)

around 6 months ago (maybe less, i don't recall exactly and am too lazy to look it up), i had the rear end vibration issue come up. CV joints replaced by the dealer... Hondacare took care of it, no problems.

now... since the CV joint repair the clicking has come back, mainly on the right. actually, it came back pretty quickly after the repair, but has gotten gradually worse. starting mainly on the right side, but the left started not too much later.

first question: do they pull those spindle nuts for that repair?

i kept telling myself i'd get around to fixing the click again, but work and life have been prohibitively busy. and borrowing the 250 ft lb torque wrench and socket are no longer an option since they've changed the 'tool borrowing policy' at the plant. they got worse, and the left started to click on occassion too.

so, this last oil change, i brought it to the dealer (i get most of my oil changes done at the dealer.... a combination of lazy and lack of time.) and i mentioned the click, referred them to the TSB, and without hesitation they went out there and did it for free, no questions asked. (new spindle nuts)

it's still clicking. the service shop manager (who did the TSB) noticed it first as he pulled the car around. no where near as often... and it's the right side mostly w/ an occassional left (maybe, it's hard to tell sometimes)

usually, i watch that stuff like a hawk, but this time, i was distracted by one of the mechanics i know there talking about his new EVO. either or - i didn't see the whole procedure. i saw them pull the wheel, pull the nut, and the new nut going on, but never saw if they greased behind the nut.
i should be able to verify that they greased them by asking the shop manager who did the work himself.

second question: would leaving off the grease cause the click? i'm inclined to believe it would. if nothing else, leaving off the grease would DEFINITELY change the friction coefficient of the nut going on, and thus reduce the effective force applied at the same torque.

third question: i'm a mechanical engineer -- so i do understand all the issues going on w/ torque, etc. my question -- do we know what the limiting factor is on this torque? are we near yield stresses for the threads? the nut? (can we even know this?) or is 220 ft-lbs just a number that provides enough compression to address the click?

forth question: if not exceeding the material yield values -- should i try and over torque this to get the click to stop?

final questions: if the click can't be 'torqued away' what kind of damage and repair am i looking at for hub, bearing, etc.? and how do i get Hondacare to cover and repair this under warranty w/o a major failure? what are my options? the click is annoying, and i'd like to keep my baby in the best shape possible.

(70k miles, 2001)

hopefully, this has covered everything well enough... if i've left something out, please let me know.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice that they did it for free. IMO they didn't grease it properly and extra torque isn't going to get rid of the noise, and as you point out may exceed yield stresses. Also IMO even if you do nothing the hub and bearing will be fine.

I base these opinions not on personal expertise (of which I have little), but from discussion with the master tech who did mine two days ago.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:46 AM

grease def helps out alot. before I took my s2k in I read about 40 diff posts on this problem. VERY COMMON problem and most peopel don't notice it since its so quiet. Grease is very important. I bought new spindle nuts alos since they were so cheap 2 bucks each.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:48 AM

also if clicking contines then your wheel bearing will be gone if you don't address it properly from research of past posts. Some peopel though have gone 20k without problems. since my s2k is my DD and my baby I take care of shit ASAP.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we did not torque above the listed torque yet. i was considering it for next time (maybe).

the grease will be critical and i need to check on it -- torque is based upon resistance to turning... less grease = more resistance and lower overall compression force from the nut.

my S is also my DD. i strive to avoid downtime at all costs if possible.

i've also read a great deal on this subject, and know that i could potentially have troubles if i don't address the issue.

thanks for the input -- please, keep it coming.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PJK3,May 28 2005, 02:06 PM
we did not torque above the listed torque yet.
181 lb/ft is the "listed" torque. Honda has acknowledged that this is not enough and have sent out a memo that this should be increased to 220.
I did mine just out of caution. I have no issues with my rear hubs at all. I just had time and did it. I used a bit of anti-seize on the nut threads. After I increased the torque, the nut positioned itself about 1/2" beyond the original place where it was locked in. I just pounded a new indent.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:48 AM

I got the same thing going on.... clicking or knocking on starting from a stop, or going from reverse to 1st. I am taking it to the dealer on Monday (I also am going to bring up the clutch buzz, TSB054, and see if that was done prior to me purchasing the car). I hope they will work with me....I already got a free top outta them And they may not feel as generous this time to me.

John
Old 05-29-2005, 03:48 PM

wow sounds liek alot of work, I'm assuming you race or auto x your s2k?
Old 05-29-2005, 07:09 PM

does anyone have the actual TSB# for this clicking? I am taking the car to the dealer tomorrow, and would like to have something on paper.

thanks

John
Old 05-29-2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by jwa4378,May 29 2005, 07:09 PM
does anyone have the actual TSB# for this clicking? I am taking the car to the dealer tomorrow, and would like to have something on paper.
It doesn't have a TSB number. It's not a technical service bulletin, just a service note or advisory. There is a number associated with it, 011201, but it's not a TSB. A scan of the page can be found at https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=103975&st=35

Quick Reply: Advice request -- rear end clicking