S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Advice on repairing accident damage

Old 09-05-2014, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on repairing accident damage

So here I am after a head-on collision with a bunch of bricks, following a power skid. I entered a right corner in second gear, applied some gas and it drifted away with the rear end and I was projected onto the right side into the bricks. The speed during the impact must've been around 50km/h (30mph), considering that I managed to brake for about half a second.

The damage moved the radiator back about 15cm (6"). The tire on the left wheel came off, there is no apparent damage to the rim. On the right hand side, which suffered most of the damage I have a broken wishbone and a bent shock. Here are two pictures:

I would appreciate any thoughts on how to handle the repair. If you're thinking I should take it to a repairs shop, well I've already done that, but where I am from it's better to keep a close eye on what they do to your car. The first thing I did was to measure the frame diagonally and laterally. All the distances matched up (give or take half a centimeter), so my assumption is there is no frame damage. Am I right?

All the bending must've happened on the pic piece of metal that holds the lower wishbone, underneath the frame (how is that called by the way?). My measurings confirmed this and there is offset of about 2 centimeters there.

Comparing to this post http://s2000.com/forums/new-s2000-co...ir-photos.html, the damage in my case is less on the front and more to the wheel, as the brick struck the car from underneath mostly.

Any thoughts and guidelines are appreciated. I will, in turn keep you guys updated with pictures of what is happening while in service.

Regards,
Slavic
Old 09-06-2014, 07:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To really make sure there is no frame damage it needs to go on a frame machine. I think most of that damage looks fairly easy to fix. The damage I notice that would need to be done professionally is where your upper a arm bolts that housing where the bolt goes through is bent open. My current s2000 I purchased from an insurance auction with suspension damage like yours. I had to replace mostly all of my upper control arms and spindles and rear subframe. From the pics most of that can be fixed at home but you should have it checked on a frame machine to be safe.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:47 AM

Thanks mate. The car is not at home, per se. It's in a privately-owned service. I just like to keep a close eye on how things are done with this car.

Anyone knows whether a lower arm from a 2002 car will fit mine (2003)? Both are AP1, but I remember to have read somewhere about some changes done in 2003. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:43 PM

Made a blog about repairing the car: http://s2krevival.blogspot.md/
Old 08-15-2016, 07:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes the 02 and 03 are the same. Good luck with you repairs. The OEM Manuals were produced by Helm. Most know of the factory repair manual and a few more know about an electrical repair manual available as well. But there is actually a third manual " Body Repair Manual" few know about. This manual, available through Helm, contains the specifics of frame repair.

Utah
Old 08-15-2016, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking blog. Is she all put back together now?

That car has been through some shit! Poor little S. On that door pic, it looks like there were 11 coats of paint?!?!?!?!? I see blue, red, white, silver, suzuka blue?

Whenever I've seen the front fenders pulled off an S, I always get a sick idea about turning it into an open-wheel roadster, similar to a PT Cruiser.

Looking forward to seeing some finished pictures!
Old 08-16-2016, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Seattle2k
Nice looking blog. Is she all put back together now?

That car has been through some shit! Poor little S. On that door pic, it looks like there were 11 coats of paint?!?!?!?!? I see blue, red, white, silver, suzuka blue?

Whenever I've seen the front fenders pulled off an S, I always get a sick idea about turning it into an open-wheel roadster, similar to a PT Cruiser.

Looking forward to seeing some finished pictures!
Has indeed been though hard times. No - it's still in the process. I'm pretty much updating the blog as it goes. Hope to be done in 2-3 weeks.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kffnOjZYk...82981483_o.jpg

From photo, I'm surprised to see so many high-low spots on sanded surface. Think this was due to poor prep, by Honda?

Thanks, for the photo progress of car!
Old 08-17-2016, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kffnOjZYk...82981483_o.jpg

From photo, I'm surprised to see so many high-low spots on sanded surface. Think this was due to poor prep, by Honda?

Thanks, for the photo progress of car!

Actually, I don't think I can blame Honda for any of the bodywork on my particular car. It's just been in too many hands to do that. )
Also, the spots are not very deep. What you see in the picture are mild dimples.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:16 AM

This post is very old, Utahs2k, by the way. It's from when I purchased the car. I revived it by accident and I have another thread here regarding the current "big repair".