S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Advice and info on Vortech S/C installation.

Old 09-30-2004, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice and info on Vortech S/C installation.

Hello s2k owners.... I am new to these boards, well, not new to reading but new to posting. I thoroughly enjoy reading the boards and have a question. I have an '03 black s2000 and just purchased the Vortech S/C kit w/aftercooler and was wondering if anyone had any last minute tips for me. I was a mechanic for only a summer a few years ago so my knowledge is someone limited. I know my way around the car pretty well but I could use all the help I could get. I am sure that here have been other topics about this but was hoping to get a response in one thread so that when I am running back and forth between the garage and computer I can access you guys and the install guide fairly quicly
Old 09-30-2004, 07:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have a read of this:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103349
I'm not a licenced mechanic, but I did the installation myself. You may find some stuff in this thread that will help you out.

ps. As you are new here, I'll give you a hint for future posting. When you start a new thread, try to make your title more descriptive. We have hundreds of threads in here entitled, "Question". A more descriptive title will assist others in doing searches in future. I will edit your title for you this time to reflect the subject of your thread.

pps. And welcome to the world of posting here.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know if x-man references this in his DIY writeup, but be wary when installing the fuel pump so that it does not interfere with the fuel level sensor. Vortech owners (myself included) have complained that the new pump interferes with the sensor travel, and can cause misreading of the in-dash fuel level gauge. This happened to me when I ran out of gas just after installing the SC -- even though my indicator said I was 3/4 full.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:42 AM

Appreciate the info, received shipping information today so I expect the kit to be here within 5-7 business days.

Also, are there any tools that I might need that aren't listed on the tool page in the install manual?

How many man hours am I looking at before having a running S/C'd s2000? ... given my skill level with cars.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Take your time and do it right the first time.

You can do parts of the install without taking the car out of comission. There is some assembly work, fuel pump, changing out the crank pulley, FMU, etc. that can be done before you jack your car up. The change out of the crank pulley was one part of the install I let a mechanic do and saved the headache. Since the car was already in the shop he only charged $10 to change it with his heavy duty pneumatic wrench. It's just not cost effective buying an expensive crank tool.

If you do the little things first, you should be able to finish up the install in a weekend.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:20 PM

I had taken the front bumper off to get it repainted, as the car ended up rubbing against another car in our driveway (don't ask). While it was getting repaired, figured now is as good of a time as any to go for it. The car is by no means taken apart, just the repainted bumper sitting a few feet away from it.

I'm glad to hear alot of the work can be accomplished before installation in the car.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

If you have the bumper off allready, I'd leave it off because you need to install the aftercooler's radiator,reservior, lines and pump behind the bumper.

The wiring to the Stock PCM takes a while, I'm using a VAFC plug and play harness to makes thing easier to wire up. It's much easier to wire the timing controller on a table than crammed under the dash. I wouldn't use the displacement wire taps included with the kit. You can solder and heat shrink them, or use the really neat heat shrink butt connectors. Lots of drivability problems have been created by bad electrical connections to the controllers.

Also, the wiring diagram in the instructions is correct, the worded explaination is not.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:10 PM

Read it as well as looking at the pictures.

BTW, trying to adjust the tensioner is one of the most annoying things ever. Why they didn't put a spring loaded auto-tensioner? I don't know.

Wear long cloth gloves that go up most of your fore-arm doing the fuel pump install. Dont contaminate the gas with your blood.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:44 PM

Took me about a week by myself and using jackstands. Took me almost a day just to get the oil pan out and tap. I miscounted the bolts and there were 2 that were still keeping it attached by the transmission bell housing.

Also I installed the fuel pump and then found out that I forgot to put the clamp in to hold it in place. Had to take it out all over again.

Just do it carefully. Make sure you have an extra car to run to the parts store if needed.