S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Advantages and Disadvantages of NA

Old 10-11-2004, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advantages and Disadvantages of NA

I'm tired of hearing people, talking about how fast a car is with Turbo...
seems like everyone is going force inductions these days....

I'm pretty sure there is advantages of Force Induction...
but can someone point out, what's the advanages and disadvantages of force induction comparing to a NA.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:43 AM

FI nets the most power with the least investment (cost per hp is good). Since you're generating more power, it's only natural that you'd also generate more heat (since more air and fuel are burned). Depending on your application and/or needs, some cars have had to deal with heat issues, like on a short track on a hot day. In some cases, driving a car with a lot more power during auto-x could be harder to handle at the limit since there'd be so much power on tap. The initial investment is high.

NA applications are the most popular since you can start "cheap" with a CAI, so the initial investment is much lower but can quickly get very high if you start doing everything, and you won't gain nearly as much as FI. However, the power curve on an NA application is easier to handle at the limit (since there won't be a huge jump in power) so it becomes a little easier to control at the limit (due to less power), however it's the throttle response and sound it makes that gets a lot of people excited. You won't run into too much of the heat-related issues as the FI crowd.

I believe that well-tuned cars both NA or FI require good attention to the maintenance, howeve special attention to things like detonation should be controlled in FI applications. The resulting damage from knock on a car running boost is going to be higher than with a NA setup.

Well tuned setups from either NA or FI can be very exciting, while the power differences are obvious, the driving experience is like night and day... the dyno doesn't tell the whole story IMHO.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:48 AM

NA :

-Better Response
-No turbo lag
-Power in all rpm's <---- very important
-Difficult to overheat (than turbo engines)
-Lightweight Construction (no turbo, no intercooler, no heavy manifolds)
-better sound

FI:

-The only advantage of FI i can find is BRUTE POWER...

i dont think there is any other advantage over N/A...
Old 10-11-2004, 04:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a moderately powerful turbo setup would be more "streetable" than an NA turbo setup. With a good turbo setup, you can make 280-300rwhp with a very flat torque curve from 3K RPM to redline and the car doesn't have to sound much louder than stock. It is nearly impossible to get 280rwhp on an NA application, and if you pull it off, you're going to have to have a very open exhaust... which means lots of noise. Not very nice if you want to take your girl out in your S, or even if you want to take a road trip that's longer than 15 miles.

I wouldn't recommend going the NA route to anyone unless they just like it from the "purist" point of view, or unless they have some extreme motivation for it. In the long run, it is much more expensive to make good power with an NA application, and the maximum power you can achieve is much less than an FI application.

With that said... I'm a "purist". I'm currently shooting for 240-250rwhp with my NA application. By the time I get there, I will have spent as much as most people spend on their SC applications (or more)... and I'll be making 40-60hp less.