S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Adjusting ground controls after corner weighting?

Old 03-21-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting ground controls after corner weighting?

i just got my car back today from being corner weighted at the shop and it drives awesome! although the ride height is still a little high for me. anyway to fix this without messing up the corner weighting balance, or paying another $200? maybe adjust all the coil overs an equal amount lower?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Give the shop that did the weight balance a call and ask their opinion. I would guess that if you could exactly lower each perch by the same amount, then the balance would remain the same since you have not changed the level plane. But I think that's a big if...
Old 03-21-2007, 07:52 PM

No .... If you lower it , More likely than not ,you will mess up the corner weights .... I did mine a few weeks ago , a 1/4 of a turn can be the difference from being spot on to being off .

Having said that ...... If you don't track it ..... Or even if you track it , and have moderate skills .... You will never know it's off...... Many race cars are set up with a corner weight bias that will make it excellent in one corner but gives it up in another corner with a net result of a faster lap time ...... I had always heard this , then I messed up my Spec Racer corner weights due to an emergency set up on an uneven surface ..... To my surprise , I was very , very fast in the most important corner on the track .... Picked up a 1/2 second and moved up the grid several spots ..... I did not really know what I had done until I corner weighted after the event ...... You can bet that set up became the default baseline for that track.

The proper procedure is to set ride height 1st , then do corner weights.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:37 PM

thanks tstiles & negcamber, damn i guess i'll just wait until my next alignment. good stuff
Old 03-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

If you change the ride height the corner weights and the alignment will change.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:27 AM

I'm thinking of corner weighing with my next alignment. Is there a specific balance that is "generic"?
My S2K is a daily driver with mountain switchbacks, tracks , and autocrosses as an occasional liesure activity.
Is 50/50 what I'm going for, or should there be more/less weight in the front/rear?
I currently am running with bilstien PSS9s
The tech said I should ask around for any spesific measurements before I send him wrenching away. Any input is welcome.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff,Apr 13 2007, 12:27 PM
I'm thinking of corner weighing with my next alignment. Is there a specific balance that is "generic"?
My S2K is a daily driver with mountain switchbacks, tracks , and autocrosses as an occasional liesure activity.
Is 50/50 what I'm going for, or should there be more/less weight in the front/rear?
I currently am running with bilstien PSS9s
The tech said I should ask around for any spesific measurements before I send him wrenching away. Any input is welcome.
i just told my mechanic about the same thing you said, even though i never track it. They weighed the front Right & Rear Left corners and adjusted the height so that the two corners were within 1% of a difference of each other in weight, they did that for the other two corners too.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:28 PM

corner balancing isnt about front/back ratio. its to balance the car between the sum of corner weights of the diagonal pairs.

and yeah, once you mess with the ride height, you change everything, including alignment as mentioned.

honestly, you guys shouldnt have even paid for a corner balance and asked for them to just adjust the ride heights even. the s2000 is so well weight distributed, it doesnt need messing around with corner balancing. you wouldnt notice it if it wasnt anyway, as mentioned too.

just get an alignment. and know whenever you ever change the ride heights, you have also messed with your alignment.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by tysonCRX,Apr 14 2007, 08:28 PM
honestly, you guys shouldnt have even paid for a corner balance and asked for them to just adjust the ride heights even. the s2000 is so well weight distributed, it doesnt need messing around with corner balancing.
people on this forum seem to disagree.

i'm confident this car is pretty even corner to corner also. but some people on here tend to think they're brighter than the engineers who built these cars to spec from a piece of sheet metal.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hey_i'm_new,Apr 15 2007, 04:36 AM
people on this forum seem to disagree.

i'm confident this car is pretty even corner to corner also. but some people on here tend to think they're brighter than the engineers who built these cars to spec from a piece of sheet metal.
I agree... however, its all about personal preference.

Quick Reply: Adjusting ground controls after corner weighting?