S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Adjusting Ground Control Coilovers

Old 06-09-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adjusting Ground Control Coilovers

It's a long story on why I'm doing this, but I installed some Ground Control coilovers today with Koni shocks.

I put the collar in the middle of the sleeve when I installed them thinking that would get me close to wear I want to be, but after I put them in, I need to raise it a bit more.

The problem is that with the car jacked up, the spring is already compressed and I can't raise the collar anymore unless I'm He-Man. The collar has little notches on it like it's supposed to accept a Spanner wrench or something. Was I supposed to get one? I didn't even get a hex wrench for the lock on the collar either.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have put the collar at the very top so I can work my way down to where I want to be. That's still an option but I'd rather not take it apart again.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try jacking up the entire front end or the entire back end (both front or rear tires should be off the ground). Once they are up spray some wd40 on the collars and get a old towel or some gloves and twist the collar using both hands.

That should allow you to make your adjustments. I have adjusted mine multiple times and they have never been too tight.

Oh yeah, remmember to loosen the nut on the collar!

Jim
Old 06-10-2007, 06:14 AM

Thanks Jim but I've already gone as far as I can by hand. Yes, the hex nut is lose and I was able to get it about 1/4" higher by hand, but it's not enough. I had to fight the spring for that entire 1/4" and the higher I go, the tighter it gets. The spring is compressed and pressed against the top hap and with a 440 lbs/inch spring rate, I really don't think I can do anymore by hand.

I was really curious to see if I was supposed to get a spin wrench. I'm going to see if I can find a Spanner wrench that will fit on the GC collar. If I can, I think that'll solve my problem
Old 06-10-2007, 06:45 AM

If you don't mind messing up the collar , you can help move it with a screwdriver and hammer combo ...... But it will mess up your collars.

GC did not send me a spanner , but I had one from my Spec Racer days that fit.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:09 AM

GC does not include the spanner wrench.

I believe they are available for purchase. Contact them and they may send one out to you at no charge.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:45 AM

use any spanner tool from other coilovers, it should work too
Old 06-10-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have a wrench either and would like to buy one if anyone has a link on line.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:45 PM

http://www.ground-control.com

Just call them during business hours and they may send you one for free.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^Thanks. I probably should have figured that out for myself, silly me.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:27 PM

Well, seeing as I was rubbing as is, I didn't want to wait to have something shipped to me so I went to Sears to see if I can find a spanner wrench.

I couldn't find a spanner wrench but I did find these that turned out to work pretty good for me:

They had a sale on the 2 piece kit which I'm really glad I bought because I ended up using both. I used the larger one on the collar and the smaller one to hold the sleeve in place. Worked like a charm

After test driving, I'm still rubbing a little bit on larger bumps and dips so I have a few more adjustments to make, but thanks again for the help!

Quick Reply: Adjusting Ground Control Coilovers