S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Adjusting the beam pattern..

Old 08-18-2005, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting the beam pattern..

Okay my car came out of the shop a month ago since I had new headlamp installed. The driver side beam is a bit higher than the right side. I need to make it lower because right now it's bright and it sort of blind people since it's higher and keep flashing when I drive. Need help, thanks.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While yours may be adjusted too high the driver's side is supposed to be a little bit higher than the passenger's

There is a knob on the top of the light assembly that you can access under the hood. I parked mine in front of my garage door and adjusted them to the level I wanted.

What I wanted was slightly higher than what the car came with since the "cut off line" was too low. I also adjusted them so that the line was almost straight all the way across.

I then had my wife drive the car and I drove past her in anothe car a couple of times to be sure I hadn't gotten it too high. I did not find the lights were bright in oncoming traffic's eyes but I still get some flashes in traffic. I always got that flashes even when I had the stock settings, I think it is the coloration.

The manual says to park your car X feet from a wall and adjust the beam X inches high but since I wanted to raise the stock settings I didn't bother with the measuring, I figured, right or wrongly, that the car came with that setting.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:07 AM

actually on USDM vehicles the passenger side headlights (left side of vehicle when you are looking at the front bumper) should be higher to light up road signs....the driver's side should be lower to not blind traffic in the other lane.
However, the light pattern is like this anyways

driver's side passenger's side

_________------------- ____________ -------------
Old 08-19-2005, 12:30 PM

You're probably right. That makes more sense. It has been a while since I actually paid attention to my light pattern, but I do remember that one side was higher than the other
Old 08-19-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to my knowledge that pattern is somewhat permanent into the headlights. i dont know if it's possible that they either switched them around, OR gave you headlights from a RHD S2000. lol
Old 08-19-2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by David b,Aug 19 2005, 06:21 AM
While yours may be adjusted too high the driver's side is supposed to be a little bit higher than the passenger's

There is a knob on the top of the light assembly that you can access under the hood. I parked mine in front of my garage door and adjusted them to the level I wanted.

What I wanted was slightly higher than what the car came with since the "cut off line" was too low. I also adjusted them so that the line was almost straight all the way across.

I then had my wife drive the car and I drove past her in anothe car a couple of times to be sure I hadn't gotten it too high. I did not find the lights were bright in oncoming traffic's eyes but I still get some flashes in traffic. I always got that flashes even when I had the stock settings, I think it is the coloration.

The manual says to park your car X feet from a wall and adjust the beam X inches high but since I wanted to raise the stock settings I didn't bother with the measuring, I figured, right or wrongly, that the car came with that setting.
There's a knob? Where at? Do I need to take out the headlamps or I can do it while the bumper and lights are on the car?
Old 08-20-2005, 05:38 AM

It is located on top of the headlights just under the hood.

Look at it in the daylight and it is easy to spot
Old 08-21-2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by David b,Aug 20 2005, 05:38 AM
It is located on top of the headlights just under the hood.

Look at it in the daylight and it is easy to spot
I have 04+ headlamp and I used my hand to run all over the top headlamps but did not feel any knot. hMm...