S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

adjusted my clutch and....

Old 11-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default adjusted my clutch and....

Had a local mechanic adjust my clutch to try to stop this damn issue I’m having with the drive shaft not stopping fully when I depress the clutch, but it didn’t help. So where should I start next?

What’s going on is I have noticed when I shift the car I sometimes feel a lurch and a little thump from the rear. It’s because when I depress the clutch it’s not putting enough pressure on the plate ( sorry im not a mechanic ). Anyway what should I do next? Also the clutch adjustment is really low, like almost off the floor but I kinda like it. OK to keep it that way??
Old 11-19-2011, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope should be alot higher i would bleed the line.. if its not air in the line then its your CMC or slave. and if its not thos.... its your pressure plate.. i would start with the easy and rule thos out
Old 11-19-2011, 06:11 AM

OK..Ill adjust it back up a bit...and I looked at the clutch fluid in the reservoir and it looks pretty dark. Guess it’s time for a flush...
Old 11-20-2011, 07:12 AM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

make sure you still have free play in the pedal. can you elaborate on the original issue?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 AM

drive shaft wont fully stop spinning when i push the clutch all the way in, so when i try to put the car in gear there is a thump and sometimes a slight lurch. Going to have the clutch fluid replaced tomorrow, it looks black and i bet itsnever been done.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Speakeasy2009
drive shaft wont fully stop spinning when i push the clutch all the way in, so when i try to put the car in gear there is a thump and sometimes a slight lurch. Going to have the clutch fluid replaced tomorrow, it looks black and i bet itsnever been done.
I'm not sure about the lurch, but as far as I know, at a stop, when you try to put the car in 1st gear, there is a THUMP.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:10 AM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

proper spec tranny fluid?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by HarryD
Originally Posted by Speakeasy2009' timestamp='1321905848' post='21175071
I'm not sure about the lurch, but as far as I know, at a stop, when you try to put the car in 1st gear, there is a THUMP.
Yes... like a slight THUMP... not something big but enough to notice. Happens most going from 2nd to 3rd or if I’m at a stop and I put the car in reverse to back out of a parking spot. My tranny makes a very slight noise when the clutch isn’t depressed, and when I depress the clutch if I listen closely I can hear the tranny slowly coming to a stop, not stopping right away like it should. Sorry if I’m confusing, I’m not a mechanic so I don’t know all the right terminology to make this easier.

Originally Posted by starchland
proper spec tranny fluid?

The Tranny and Diff fluids i did a few months back. Im 99% certain i used the right fluids. In fact i know the raer diff is right because i got that from Honda. The tranny i got at the auto parts store but i made certain it was the right weight and spec.

Hopefully changing out the clutch fluid helps. if not, ill replace the clutch and clutch hydrolics in one shot, once i have the money that is :-/
Old 11-22-2011, 04:46 AM

you could need to re-grease the shifter. i have tracked the thump that you are hearing to the shifter. at least in my car. how many miles are on the car. could be air like the above poster said or time to replace parts.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:01 AM

Should have got the diff fluid at the auto parts store and the trans fluid from Honda.

Quick Reply: adjusted my clutch and....