S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Act Versus Clutchmaster

Old 07-22-2004, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Act Versus Clutchmaster

Ok guys I need to start putting money aside for a new clutch!!! It's a 2001 and I'm planning on getting it done next year the stock clutch is starting to die on me. Gotta start saving now..........................back to instant noodles for the next 10 months ........Now I'm debating between the ACT HS1-HDSS or the Clutchmaster 08-S2000-HDKV. I've seen lots of clutchmaster 08-S2000-HD00 but I haven't seen any 08-S2000-HDKV
I went to the clutchmaster website and they have the FX100, FX300 and FX400 listed for the S2000 but not the FX200 which is what I'm looking for. I swear I've read of some guys here who are running those setups? So far grip wise I know the clutchmaster selection is more superior with a 70% increase over stock compared to ACT's 44% increase but pricing wise the ACT's a winner at $599USD compared with $635USD for the FX100. As for clutch life I know the clutchmaster Kevlar clutch disc (and only the Kevlar not the FX100) has a 3 time greater lifespan than the stock clutch. Can't seem to find any prices for the FX200!!!!! I'm assuming about roughly $725USD. The only thing I'm worried about with the FX200 is the warning about a significant break in period for the Kevlar?!?! Something about a 750kms-850kms stop and go traffic break in period?
Will some Guru please enlightened me with their opinions and clutch philosophy
Old 07-22-2004, 04:31 AM

Unless you plan on adding a supercharger and more mods to increase the horsepower to over 350, there is no need for a stronger pressure plate. I have the ACT Street Disk in mine, and it is much better than the stock clutch disk. But I do notice that it is more jerky when just trying to drive calmly. But it is more jerky because it grips much better and quicker than stock.

But unless you plan on going over 350hp, I'd stay with the stock pressure plate. The ACT Street Disk is only $110 through John Eagle Honda in Houston. (with S2KI member discount)
Old 07-22-2004, 05:07 AM

I see your point.......but I'm sure all S2000 owners will agree on the fact the the oem pressure plate is too weak..........I agree with you on the point about not needing to get any hardcore gripping pressure plates like the ACT extreme or clutchmaster FX300 because I don't need that much grip .......but the entry level ACT heavy duty pressure plate's 44% stronger grip and the FX100/200's 70% stronger grip sounds like what the stock S2000 needs to begin with. Honestly even a prelude has a stronger pressure plate than the stock S2000.........launch the S2000 a few times at 4000-6000rpm and the clutch will just die on you....you can practically lift the clutch all the way and not stall!!!

By street disc did you mean the organic ones. Cuz I know ACT makes 3 kinds...the stock oem disk, the modified and the organic disk. I wouldn't mind getting either the ACT's organic disk or clutchmaster's organic and Kevlar disk. I do prefer the Kevlar disc by clutchmaster only because it last longer than the organic ones. Apprently 2-3 times longer than stock disc. I will have had the car for 4 yrs by the time I do the clutch change next year and I really don't want to do another clutch change after that one. I'm also gonna change the flywheel as well........I figured that I might as well do it at the same time........the whole thing is gonna cost me about $2000 cdn installed!!!! I'm surprised that you have faith with the stock pressure plate?
Old 07-22-2004, 05:30 AM

i believe the ACT clutch is just a reworked stock clutch with copper threads added to the friction material. i'd go ahead and replace the pressure plate. despite what others say, i don't think it has enough clamping force. i think some poeple on here use the clutchmater stage 3 with good results.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:47 AM

I find the clutchmaster stage 3 to be a little too extreme.....that's the FX300....it has a 110% increase over stock clamping force......that means clutch pedal effort will give me some overmuscularized left leg compared to me right leg!! I do a lot of city stop and go traffic driving.
Are you sure all of the ACT clutch disk is just a reworked stock clutch disk.......I won't be surprise if the ACT stock replacement disk and the modified disk are reworked oem disk but I'm pretty sure the organic disk is not.........anyone here running the clutchmaster FX100 or FX200? What about the ACT HS1-HDSS someone has to be running those right?
Old 07-23-2004, 05:59 AM

I currently have the ACT PP, OEM disc, and Comptech flywheel. I have had the setup for ~10k mi. First off, I love this setup and would def recommend it to everyone. I did a fair amount of research before I purchased the clutch, and this was my final decision.

As for the PP, the stock one is just too weak. That is why many S2K owners report the clutch burning out at around 40-50k mi. If I was restricted to replacing only one of the clutch parts, I would say, hands down, replace the PP.

As for the disc, to my knowledge it is just the same as the OEM. I bought my OEM disc from HardTopGuy and he mentioned this to me then, and I think I also just recently saw him post this comment in another thread.

If you have anymore questions just shoot me a PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:13 PM

That's good to hear. I've always wondered about improving on the OEM stuff but was concerned about negative side effects.

A good manufacturer will always try to approach key areas with a tendency towards conservativeness, to ensure reliability and reduce possible warranty issues. Honda did a good job with the clutch as I'm thinking they intentionally made it "weak" to help save the rear diff. The question is, how much can you improve on the clutch components while maintaining the same level of reliability (with the assumption that you won't abuse it).
Old 07-24-2004, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by bunjimobile,Jul 22 2004, 06:47 AM
I find the clutchmaster stage 3 to be a little too extreme.....that's the FX300....it has a 110% increase over stock clamping force......that means clutch pedal effort will give me some overmuscularized left leg compared to me right leg!! I
I have the FX-300 (segmented kevlar disc...110% holding capacity over stock) in my Type R and the clutch pedal effort is the exact same as stock if not even less because the clutch engages practically an inch off the floorboard. The engagement is quite smooth, no chattering. However.....if you are looking for a clutch disc that can handle repeated abuse...ie clutch drops for drag racing, the FX-300 is NOT your clutch. Organic clutch/ cerametalic discs handle drag racing much better than kevlar discs because kevlar discs are quite prone to "glazing" of the disc. The kevalr discs are great for autocross/ track racing, but if you feather the clutch for drag racing...dont expect a long life out of the kevlar disc. Plus, the organic/ cerametallic discs are quite cheap to replace compared to the kevlar discs.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:19 AM

From what otb2000itr is saying about the Kevlar vs. organic disk I might just stick with the organic disk.........I'm actually very surprised with the fact that even with the FX300 the pedal feel felt like the stock pedal feel...............I've test driven a 1997 type R before and I know that the stock clutch pedal feel is fairly soft.........
it would be weird for a pressure plate with 110% more clamping force to have a pedal feel that is equivalent to the stock pedal feel.
Either ways otbitr2000 has narrowed my decision down to either the ACT HS1-HDSS or the Clutchmaster FX100 (08-S2000-HD00) so basically I'm dropping the idea of getting the Kevlar disc now. Both prices are almost identical with the ACT being about $40 cheaper..........