S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ACT Pressure Plate - OEM Throwout Bearing

Old 07-26-2020, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ACT Pressure Plate - OEM Throwout Bearing

Just finished replacing my stock clutch setup with the following:

ACT Prolite Flywheel
OEM Clutch
OEM Throwout Bearing
ACT HD Pressure Plate (PP)

For some reason, the throwout bearing easily slips past the diaphragm spring fingers (not sure if that is the correct terminology) of the PP.

I can turn the bearing manually and pull it back out past the diaphragm spring fingers just as easily as I can turn it and push it past it.

This doesn't seem right to me as the bearing should be able to push/pull the diaphragm springs when the clutch is engaged/released. In the current setup, when the clutch fork pushes this bearing to release the clutch disc, wouldn't it just push through the diaphragm? I don't want to install the transmission only to find out I missed setting this up correctly.

What am I missing? See photos below...

Picture #1, INCORRECT

Picture #2, correct. Bearing will/should wiggle
Old 07-26-2020, 11:35 PM

Received 451 Likes on 378 Posts

You still have the larger lip behind the fingers though?
Been awhile since I did my clutch with exact same setup but it doesn't look wrong to me from what I can remember, have you torqued down the PP?
Old 07-27-2020, 05:42 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

The fork pulls the release bearing, it does not push it. The piston of the slave faces the front of the car. The fork end is pushed, the fork pivots on its hanger and pulls the release bearing towards the transmission.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:52 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

You need to install the bearing from the flywheel side.

Bearing goes on. Then the PP goes over it.

Its a pull clutch, as explained above.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:09 AM
Member (Premium)

Install it thusly

It seems you have done so.

Remember, the slave cyl and fork keep the bearing pressed up against the clutch plate at all times when everything is installed. So once everything is in place, the bearing will be kept in the "pulled out" position. The bearing and the PP sync and spin at the same speed always.

Last edited by B serious; 07-27-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So being that it’s a pull type clutch. How does this puts extra pressure on the crank which may lead to crank walk?

OP, looks like you may have put too much grease on the release bearing. Wipe off any excess grease or it might get in the clutch disk and cause issues.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:16 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
So being that it’s a pull type clutch. How does this puts extra pressure on the crank which may lead to crank walk?

Because you're pulling on the thrust bearings instead of pushing on them.
The following users liked this post:
s2000maniac (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 11:45 AM

Yes, the large lip of the bearing is still behind the fingers of the pressure plate and the plate itself has been tightened down to specifications.

My concern was that I could relatively easily pull the bearing back and forth (perpendicular to the pressure plate) so that it would look like either picture noted above. Keep in mind that by pulling the bearing, it would never go past the larger lip of the bearing. The fact that this is a pull type of clutch system makes more sense as the bearing will never push the diaphragm so when the clutch pedal is released, it will naturally spring back to a resting position where the PP fingers are flat.

So I assume it should look like picture #2 when it is in the resting position? This will leave about an 1/8" - 1/4" of space between the clutch disc and the bearing. The stock setup didn't have this space as the bearing itself rested on the clutch disc. And maybe this isn't a big deal but I would think the disc would then have more room to float between the flywheel and the back of the bearing?
Old 07-27-2020, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
Install it thusly

It seems you have done so.

Remember, the slave cyl and fork keep the bearing pressed up against the clutch plate at all times when everything is installed. So once everything is in place, the bearing will be kept in the "pulled out" position. The bearing and the PP sync and spin at the same speed always.
The only issue I have is that unlike your stock setup, the bearing in the setup in my photos can move back and forth about an 1/8" - 1/4" simply by pulling/pushing on it. When I look at my stock OEM setup, the bearing is as you noted and pushed up against the clutch disc at all times. The slave cylinder has to actually pull it out when the is disengaged (which makes sense since this is a pull type of system as others have commented).

I don't understand why the bearing can move back and forth in this setup as compared to the stock setup.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:05 PM

Here are some video links to better explain...

Video #1 - Stock setup:
Video #2 - ACT PP setup:

Hope that helps a bit more...hopefully I am just being a paranoid but I want to make sure its good before putting everything back together

Quick Reply: ACT Pressure Plate - OEM Throwout Bearing