S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ACT PP - how does it effect the clutch pedal?

Old 03-15-2010, 06:27 PM

Received 204 Likes on 141 Posts
Thumbs up ACT PP - how does it effect the clutch pedal?

To those that went to a ACT PP with OEM flywheel and clutch disc - how does the ACT PP effect the clutch feel? Slightly more clutch pedal pressure feedback I'm sure, but is the clutch take up much more adrupt? Is the clutch travel shorter?

TIA
Old 03-15-2010, 11:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

HTG clutch kit here: ACT-PP, OEM disk & Comptech FW.

Yes, the clutch pedal is stiffer.
Especially with "thick" DOT 3 or 4 fluids - when its cold.
Thinner DOT 5.1 fluids (check specs) helps to make it better.
And it works both ways, pressing the pedal and releasing it.

Clutch take up (do you mean engagement & modulation?) is normal, as in: as it was.
It takes more force to get it this way though but you'll get used to it.

Clutch pedal travel is the same.

With the ACT-PP its even more important to lube the clutch push rod (both ends), fork pivot points, etc.
Last time I used Never-seez, straight out of the tube, works well.

To avoid having to push in the clutch during engine start it may be better to disconnect (or whatever you have to do) the clutch-in-to-start safety switch.
IMO its not that good for the thrust bearings to have them loaded up without any oil pressure/flow (when the engine is off)
Also I made a habit of not keeping the clutch pedal pressed for a long time, waiting at a light or simular.

Engagement is very very good.
It grabs & holds, no matter what.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

^
what he said.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:04 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

"clutch take up" is much more abrupt.

you have to apply a little more gas to avoid stalling, but when you adjust to it, you won't remember how it was before.

the first time i drove off with the ACT PP i stalled because i didn't apply enough gas.

the first time my friend drove my car (he also has an s2000), he stalled because he didn't apply enough gas.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 204 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks - I was asking because I recently had a chance to drive an AP2 with ACT PP and clutch, AP1 flywheel, and gears, and clutch engagement was like flipping a light switch compared to the stock AP2 setup with its heavier flywheel and longer clutch take up - it was basically impossible for me to drive smoothly without becoming accustomed to it.

I'm trying to get an idea on what components effect what in the shifting behavior. The one thing in particular that I noticed was the clutch pedal travel was much shorter - I was wondering if that comes from the pp or what.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The travel and engagement are the same. (mostly they can be adjusted at the pedal)

The pressure required to push the clutch in is more. You will be fatigued in traffic jams the first times.

After that you will get used to it.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

There was a topic about the ACT a while back - the main question was about the possibility of extra wear on the thrust bearing using the ACT in the F20/F22 - and as far as I remember ACT changed the spring.
Maybe the clutch pedal travel was reduced as well?

(I'm not saying anythihg is wrong with the "old"ACT's but IIRC it was a refinement of geometry, resulting in slightly less clamping but much less disengaging force - something like that)

Was it a new ACT, as in recently produced?

If the whole clutch setup was lubed well, fresh fluid and all, the stronger spring can make it feel like an on/off switch I guess.
Maybe you just need to get used to the stronger spring?
Was it an OEM disk too?

Old 03-17-2010, 06:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its funny people ask this. the s2k is prolly one of the spongiest/easiest pedals to push in i have ever owned or driven. hell even my 18t was stiffer.

with aftermarket PP it does get stiffer, but not nearly as stiff as some cars i have driven. stock cobra, stock wrx, my hatch with act extreme PP, were all way stiffer. hell, i drove my friends wrx for a half hour then jumped into my s2k with a CM stage 2 and ap1 flywheel, well, i went to push down the clutch to start it and almost sent my foot thru the floorboard. its was night and day easier to push down than a stock wrx clutch LOL.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Mar 15 2010, 11:06 PM
IMO its not that good for the thrust bearings to have them loaded up without any oil pressure/flow (when the engine is off)
What do you mean by this? Throw out bearing?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CapoArgentino,Mar 17 2010, 11:26 AM
What do you mean by this? Throw out bearing?
thrust washer i think is what he is talking about. the washers that the crank loads against when you step on the clutch and the PP disengages from the clutch disk. when the car is running, this stuff is soaked in oil. when car is off, i beleive they are above wheere the oil drains too.

Quick Reply: ACT PP - how does it effect the clutch pedal?