S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Accidentally ramped car up on curb and now

Old 01-17-2018, 03:33 AM

Received 1,395 Likes on 836 Posts

Great deal of missing info here, please list all the details.

Was the transmission broken open?
Old 09-01-2018, 06:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The problem with my car wasn't the transmission it was the hydraulic system. Cost $350
Old 09-01-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

So what was it exactly? Did you damage the slave cylinder?
Old 09-01-2018, 07:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It's actually a long story. The thing is, I don't think I needed a new transmission in the first place. I didn't put that in the thread. After I typed that thread, I took it to my regular mechanic and they said the car needed a new transmission and a new clutch. I had to spend over 2k. All of my tax return money went to that. So, I got a used transmission with 60k put in, but the thing is, two weeks later the car was still not shifting correctly. It wouldn't go into first and wouldn't go into reverse. That was the original problem I had in the first place. I ran over the curb and it wouldn't go into gear. So, I took it back and they said it must be the used transmission they put in and they gave me the number to the people who sold it to me. I called and they said the transmission was just fine. So, the car sat in my garage for a month. Then I took it to Aamco. They told me that I needed another transmission. I was like "WTF, I can't shift the car, so why do I need another transmission?" They told me they found metal shavings in the transmission fluid. They never even sat in the car and messed with the gears. They said it would cost me 5k. I said "no" and the car was towed back. When the car was towed back the tow truck driver asked what was wrong with it. I said that it was the transmission. I then told him that it wouldn't go into gear. He asked if he could get in the car and attempt to drive it. I said "yeah, go ahead, but it won't go into gear." He got in the car and was pumping the clutch and he got it to drive! I was shocked. My mouth was literally hanging open. He was driving it up and down my neighborhood. He then pulled it back up to my driveway and told me that it wasn't the transmission, but the slave cylinder. He then told me he wanted to take it to a little shop down the road to have them look at it. It was s called AAA Transmission. He was friends with the owner. He told me he's an honest guy and he would definitely look at it. So, he towed the car to AAA Transmission. Two days later they told me that it was in fact the slave and master cylinder. They fixed my car and it was perfectly going into gear. It only cost me $350. So, the big question I have - after all of this took place is: "did I even need a new transmission in the first place?" "Did I get hassled for over 2k for a transmission that I may have never needed in in the first place?"
Old 09-02-2018, 06:34 AM

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Yes, yes you did. They raped you for a $2k trans. Then shop two wanted another $5k!

Most mechanics don't really know how to troubleshoot. All they know is for this symptom replace this, for that symptom replace the other. For your typical autontrans at a place like Aamco, this 'works' because rebuilding the trans also reppaces the valve body, all the solonoids, etc. So all tbe inexpensive things it might have been are also replaced. So in the end the fix 'confirms' the diagnosis. See, the new trans fixed it, it was a bad trans!

So places like that just routinely replace whole systems, instead of troubleshooting the actual issue. It didn't work in your case because, unlike an auto, not everything that controls our trans is internal.

So beware of shops that don't actually troubleshoot. Finding metal shavings inside a trans (doubt they really did) isn't troubleshooting. Maybe that hasn't actually caused any symptoms yet, and the current issue is actually something else. So fixing that wouldn't actually improve the symptom. If you don't actually drive the car, you didn't even try to troubleshoot it.