S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Accidentally ramped car up on curb and now

Old 12-25-2017, 04:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Accidentally ramped car up on curb and now

It won’t go into first gear. I had to get home with the car taking off in third gear. The car will go into second, but just grinds and will not move forward. The car will go into reverse. What did I do to my car?
Old 12-25-2017, 04:38 AM

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Can you clarify what ramped up on curb means? Does that mean spun out into curb?

In any case, the symptoms described sound like something really awful happened to the trans. If that is the situation, a new trans is going to be needed. But its very doubtful that is the only problem. If damaged trans, chances are much more is damaged too.

Perhaps the best case scenario is you drove over curb, it ripped a hope in trans, fluid leaked out, trans destroyed. That would probably mean the least amount of other stuff damaged besides trans.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thang you very much for responding to my post. To answer your question, I got nervous because a car behind me was revving his engine and I panicked and drove up on the curb. I have extremely bad social anxiety and I flipped out when the car behind me was doing this. The car behind me went past me and I tried putting it in first when I came off the sidewalk, but it won’t go.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That sucks but we've all (likely) accidentally done something to our cars that we'd prefer to forget. Anyway, it sounds like the best course of action would be to get this on a lift with a qualified technician to see what's going on. Even in a worst case scenario used transmissions for this car aren't terribly expensive, but as Car Analogy said there could be other damage. No use in worrying about it - just get it checked and go from there, I'm sure it's fixable.

Please keep us posted...would be interesting to see where this goes.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just guessing, but maybe one or both of the shift rods are bent. If it is the shift rods, it will probably run you about $500 to fix. I would think and hope your transmission is fine. Do you or did you see any puddles under your car? If you see an oily puddle that smells putrid behind your front wheels, then you probably cracked your transmission case. If that is the case, you might be able to get the case welded. But from what you describe, I think you just bent a shift rod.

Sucks that this happened and I feel for you. Next time someone does that to you, just remember it is an a-hole who is overcompensating for a deficiency in another area and ignore him.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 1,226 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Drove up over a curb onto the sidewalk at what speed? What's the rest of the story?

The forks and rods for the gearbox are all internal, not hanging off the side. They're not susceptible to getting snagged on something.

-- Chuck
Old 12-25-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Ok, that is much better scenario than spin into curb. It sounds like only mechanical damage (not body damage).

Check underneath for cracked trans case. Not hard to find, they'll be leaking trans fluid everywhere.

Driving a convertible around top down is something rather bold for anyone that is introverted. So congratulations on not letting your weaker instincts hold you back! Let the car help you to be more outgoing, confident, and less concerned about what others think.

You're already making progress by being willing to share the details of your mistake with us.

You let fear and anxiety push you into a bad decision. The only thing shameful in that is if you don't learn something from it...
Old 12-25-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case there is any confusion, when I said the shift rod may be bent, I was not referring to anything internal on the transmission. I meant the shift rods that connect the shift lever to the transmission case.

It is nos 12 and 13 on the link below.

https://parts.coconutpointhonda.com/...023B3400C.html

I am thinking that the shift rod bent and cannot move the gears in the transmission. Normally, when you move the gear lever, it moves the rod that connects to the gear selector on the transmission and moves the gears back and forth. If the rod is bent, when you move the gear lever, it won't fully engage the gears on the transmission, hence the grinding in 2nd. This is just a theory of course. I would not know for certain until I got the car in the air. If it is the shift rods, changing them out is fairly simple and could probably be done in your driveway.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After you get your trans fixed, consider the below suggestions:

1. Get a dash cam. Protects you and your investment. Some even have parking modes, so if someone hits your car and takes off, it's recorded.

2. If someone is tailgating you, let it be. They hit you, they pay. It's that simple. People are ruthless and want to go everywhere in a hurry, which is why I seldom drive my S2000. I feel bad for what happened to you. I
would have exchanged some words with said driver.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

check your clutch master cylinder for leaks... I know it is not related to your problem but just to be sure (it is a common prob) and it would cause you to be unable to put it into gear.!

Quick Reply: Accidentally ramped car up on curb and now