S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

accident on 1st day I gotta s2k

Old 04-25-2007, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default accident on 1st day I gotta s2k

I just got my s2k last saturday and long story short, my friend ran onto somebody's lawn and came to a few rocks with a ditch in the center then leaped off of the curb and back onto the road. by the time i ran to the scene i found some grass stains on the front "flat" tire and later a long stem that fell out of the bumper from some unfortunate flower. The impact caused a fat sound like it had hit another car so as I ran I thought he had hit another car.

Car is 62k with low tread already. He took the corner too fast and probably skidded 200 feet down the hill 'cops claimed. What my question is what damages, mechanically, the huge impact from the curb to the ground can do. I noticed the left wheel being bent or something so it looks like I tuned for toe-out or something. The other side seems like perfectly perpendicular with the ground. I don't want it effecting anything within the body but with a slide like that the most messed up and impact came from the front driver side. I replaced the spare after a day with another stock 16s. could the used oem rims be deformed? The tie rod was bent but nothing serious underneath seemed to have any bents, not even the exhaust.

Can anyone give an idea of what problems I can be aware of? My hood has a gap now, not from the bumper hitting the ground but it's just wont close all the way. I gotta few guess, such as, impact misaligned the hood or radiator been pushed up, the corner rubber support are pushed up or just the spring inside the latch got messed up. I tried to shift and test out the knob and I did have a problem going to 5th and engaging 1st from neutral. First day I drove it home did not have this problem.

No oil leaks just yet. I hadn't been driving the car very much at all.

back left side

front left side

hood won't close perfectly anymore.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:40 PM
kix

Take it to a body shop.

Also friends dont let friends driver their s2k.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

another person jumping into an s2k thinking they know how to treat it. sorry to hear.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kix,Apr 25 2007, 12:40 PM
Take it to a body shop.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by kix,Apr 25 2007, 12:40 PM
Take it to a body shop.

Yep, your gonna have to get it professionally looked at in order to guage exact damage.

What really gets me is how much some people actually disrespect their friends shit like this. I mean I know if my friend bought a sports car, I wouldn't be tryin to rip up the streets with it. I have too much respect for my friends to even risk something like that.

Is your friend gonna pay for all of this?

-James
Old 04-25-2007, 01:20 PM

Exactly how I thought R-e-s-p-e-c-t. It's one thing to do it to your camry but rwd is nowhere near a conparison. I should've figured but I guess I needed to see it to believe what kind of person he is. Everyone is to blame bc I told my integra friend not to back out to let him drive....he either didn't hear me or just did it anyways.

I'm paying for the rims and tires but other than that I won't have enough for any labor cause since registration sort of killed my bank account. He said he'll look into it and to give him an estimate of how much cost for the total damages but we'll see. He already gotta spanking bill from the cop so money is already a big issue for the both of us. It was dumb of me to spend most of my savings but the price was too good to pass up not to mention the care this car had from its previous owner. I needed to apologize to the seller for beating up his former weekend car.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kix,Apr 25 2007, 03:40 PM
Take it to a body shop.

You just have to be selective. I let a number of friends drive the S2000, some I have to go with, some can take it for days on end, doesn't matter to me. Generally when that happens though, they either really need a car in which case they get the Integra, or I trade with them for a few days and they'll get the S. I'd let some of my friends track the car too without a second thought, I trust them and know they can replace the car if needed. If your friends aren't in that position, be more careful. The same friends I'd let take it for days (the S) or track it also let me drive/track their various cars, more expensive or less expensive that the S.

On the other hand, there are some friends who will never be allowed to drive my car.

I'm also very nervous driving friends cars, I tend to just to make sure some mod/part/repair is correct after working on them, but I tend to be pretty careful.

As stated above, it's really an issue of respect. If you have respect for your buddies property than you should NEVER be driving it like it was your own, however accidents can still happen so you better be prepared to deal with it if it happens.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I hate driving friends cars and I hate even more friends driving my car which is why I don't allow it. It brings to much of a problem if, god forbid, something should happen.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:30 PM

that sux bro. My friends drive like little girls when i let them drive my s2k, afraid to pull something like what happened to you i guess. Anyway i'd suggest getting your $$ back from him when he gets that bill taken care of.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

The S2000 can be an expensive car as you now know. Have you got your first insurance bill yet?

Quick Reply: accident on 1st day I gotta s2k