S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Access to roof drains?

Old 10-25-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Access to roof drains?

Ref the drains (#17 & 21 in the image in this thread) https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/102...-top-drainage/

Can I get to these by removing the interior trim behind/aside driver and passenger without having to remove the top or the 'package shelf' trim? I think someone reassembled the drains incorrectly when the PO had the top replaced. The passenger drain appears to send only 1/4 of the water I put down the drain out the tube in the wheel well. The rest seems to trickle out of the door sill over a very long time, making me think the connection between the 'sink' and the tubing below it is jacked up.

Can I get to it w/o having to mess with the convertible top?
Old 10-25-2013, 06:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Most likely it it just clogged up. If pine needles or debris go into the rain rail they end up in a drain catch just above the bucket. Think of the tub drain at you house to keep the hair out. When you remove the parts you noted you are basically taking the drain out to clean it. If you squeeze your head in between the top and the roll hoop on either side you can see the drain. It is located behind the "brushes" and just in front of the rear wrap around trim corner. There is about a 3/8" gap and the drain/ bucket is right there. Now that you have coordinates lower the top. You should now be able to clean the drain trap of whatever is blocking it with needle nose pliers or forceps.

Utah
Old 10-25-2013, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
Most likely it it just clogged up. If pine needles or debris go into the rain rail they end up in a drain catch just above the bucket. Think of the tub drain at you house to keep the hair out. When you remove the parts you noted you are basically taking the drain out to clean it. If you squeeze your head in between the top and the roll hoop on either side you can see the drain. It is located behind the "brushes" and just in front of the rear wrap around trim corner. There is about a 3/8" gap and the drain/ bucket is right there. Now that you have coordinates lower the top. You should now be able to clean the drain trap of whatever is blocking it with needle nose pliers or forceps.

Utah
Thanks for the reply, but I know for a fact from doing what you describe that the passenger side issue is not a clog (though it was for the drivers side!). Looking to find out how I check to make sure the joint/connection of 17 to 21 in the diagram of the linked thread/image is connected correctly on the passenger side. I'd like to do this without removing the top, but am worried that's the degree I need to go to. Would love to find out if I can access this by removing the interior bits aside the passenger (to check connection) and driver (same, but just to be sure) without having to take top off.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no "connection" between 17 and 21. There is a " drain" which apparently you found and a "bucket"it drains into. No physical connection, clamp, etc. Between 17 & 21 It is a "floating joint". You might try running a wire from the bottom side, can't go all the way up due to the bends. Spider webs can trap debris if cars sitting awhile.

Utah
Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome!!
Old 10-26-2013, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
There is no "connection" between 17 and 21. There is a " drain" which apparently you found and a "bucket"it drains into. No physical connection, clamp, etc. Between 17 & 21 It is a "floating joint". You might try running a wire from the bottom side, can't go all the way up due to the bends. Spider webs can trap debris if cars sitting awhile.

Utah
I understand there isn't a mechanical retainer between the pieces (it's more of a tab A into slot B thing), but my question still is, if I remove all the interior trim in that area aside the passenger's shoulder, do I have access to the bottom of that drain sink and tube connection point, or is it buried? I have tried snaking both driver and passenger sides from both top a bottom. When I run 4' of trombone snake (Miata trick) up the passenger drain from the wheel well outlet it never comes out the top into the drain sink, and I know for a fact the distance is less than 4'. I could push even more up there, so I know it also isn't hitting the bar that runs across the bottom of the drain hole in the drain sink that I assume is there to keep large bits of junk from going down the drain. That makes me think the two are not seated into each other. I can hear the trombone snake flopping around in the body, so I'm pretty certain where it is. I just want to know if taking all the interior pieces out in that area will get me access, or if I have to remove the soft top and 'package shelf' trim/plastic as well.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:00 AM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

17 and 21 push together with a moderate push-fit.

put the top halfway down, then check it from outside the car with a pen light.

You can actually see right down the drain hole, and likely see if there is a disconnect.

The only way that connection can be disturbed is if they actually removed the drain bucket during top install.

Tube 21 also goes into rubber sleeve 19. If the tube was removed, its important to use a pen light to make sure the tube goes into the rubber sleeve.

It can easily be put in with no connection, you have to get in there with a penlight to be sure.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
The only way that connection can be disturbed is if they actually removed the drain bucket during top install.
As mentioned in the original post, " I think someone reassembled the drains incorrectly when the PO had the top replaced."

Since nobody seemed to know whether I could tear into this from the area next to the passenger's shoulder (from the interior, after removing parts, I decided to give it a try. Well, the result is good (details soon) but the process of getting to where I could take that section down enough to see the joint between 17 & 21 involved me removing the console, rear console (secret compartment area) which required removal of trunk liner, and rear package shelf. All in all, a nightmare. However, after going through these steps:

removing the panel directly behind the passenger seat:

Removing the door sill and the interior panel next to the passenger's shoulder:

Then I had to take a ton of other stuff off to get to the bolt on the top of the cover for the top motor, but it eventually got to this point:

Now I was able to see where the 'knuckle' of part 21 passed though a panel:

Nothing obvious wrong there. Next I took my trombone cleaner (flexible, thin snake used to clean a trombone, and widely used in the Miata community to clear their rain drains) and shoved it up from the wheel well drain output. Like in the past (I think mentioned in a different post out here) I was able to slide 4' of snake up the hole, which given the distance, should be impossible given the whole assembly is maybe 18". I had a buddy of mine try and see if he could see anything while I was snaking the drain, and all of a sudden he saw the snake itself, but *next to* the drain, not out the top? I took a picture, it is hard to see, but it's in the hole that is right below and to the left of part 21 which is in the top right corner of the picture:

This tells me my problem has to be a break in the drain, and I'm guessing it has to be at the joint between #19 & 21, given that I'm looking at 21 in the picture.

I think this explains why most of the water is staying within the bodywork (on the lift 3/4 of the water leaked out hte front of my rocker panel with only the rear jacked up to get the tire off), but not getting my passenger area wet.

Anyone know how to remove #21 so I can reconnect them (19 & 21)?
Old 10-27-2013, 04:57 AM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

Remove the bucket and the pipe as one.

There is one Philips screw holding the bucket in, at the top front side of bucket.

The bucket is also clipped into the body, pull bucket (same way you pull up on center console)

with bucket and tube as one, lower into place while guiding end of tube into rubber sleeve. You will need to drop a penlight down in the body to be sure it goes in the rubber sleeve.