S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

accel -> pull left, offgas -> pull right?

Old 03-07-2003, 12:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Z06-KILLR
Better ask than stay ignorant....how is the differential going to ge affected by lower pressure on a rear tire...??
One low tire will cause a difference in radius from left to right. This means that the differential is constantly spinning. The LSD is actually the reason why the car is pulling side to side under load. An open diff would not behave this way. I doubt it will cause a problem for our diff, since it is clutchless.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fluid could overheat from dealing with highway speeds. The tires that spin at different speeds because of the rolling radius difference.

Overheated oil may not be as effective as fresh oil, viscosity breakdown, etc.

Therefore, you probably didn't do any damage, but by driving on the oil afterwards you could.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...This thread just helped me a BUNCH.

Just purchased my S2K last night..as i was driving home, Accel/Decel was causing me to switch lane.

Found out tire pSI is low after reading the forums.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:53 PM

same problem here but mine was not aligned. after I got it aligned still same but less noticeable.going To check tire pressure etc.thanks a bunch.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 AM

I had this same problem and sure enough, tire pressure. My rim was cracked and developed a slow leak that over time did exactly what the OP described.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This car is very sensitive to tire pressures and notably ff/rr. I just checked mine and at present it's 30ff/34rr. Not sure about this setting as yet since I just replaced both rears yesterday and will give it a try before going with 32 or 34ff. Mfg rec of 32 all around would be preffered but for now I would rather (at least) try 34lbs in the rear. If it doesn't adversly affect handling ,the extra 2lbs in the rear does give a little confidense over underinflation and should slightly increase treadlife.
These are just thoughts and not recommendations for others to follow. Check pressures frequently and use the suggested 32/32 all around.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:52 PM

Okay i know this is a dumb question but i still gonna ask. my s2k has the same symptoms mention above but i replaced only one of the rear tires about 2 weeks ago so do you guys think this is the cause of the problem? tire press. is at 32 all around.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnybananas
Okay i know this is a dumb question but i still gonna ask. my s2k has the same symptoms mention above but i replaced only one of the rear tires about 2 weeks ago so do you guys think this is the cause of the problem? tire press. is at 32 all around.
Same for me. Hit a board in the road and didnt feel like buying two crap tires I will be replacing in a few months anyway. Car does the same thing.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

^They are the same size tires right lol? More tread on one and lots less on the other one could do that a little bit maybe. Also of course if the profile is larger or smaller that would as well. Different tires with the same size stats can actually be different size still sometimes. So most likely that is your issue if you have checked the obvious tire pressure and tire size.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:15 PM

i guess ill find out as soon as i replace the other tire. ill report if it did fix the issue. thanx for all the info posted. i jux joined today n i already love all the info available.

Quick Reply: accel -> pull left, offgas -> pull right?