S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AC issues

Old 06-10-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC issues

Ok first off this is my first post and I am ready to make my way around this forum and get to know all of you.

Ok here is the issue, I purchased a AP1 about 5 weeks ago, I love the car bought it used 99560 miles, its a 2000, and runs great. Well I go to turn on my AC last night and the compresser never kicks on, is this an issue with s2000 that the ac compresser clutch doesnt ingage (bc thats what is happening) or could it be the solinoid, just throw some ideas out there bc id like to get a few opinions before i tear into the ac, bc we all know thats never cheap. Im ASE certified and an aviation engineer for the navy so dont be afraid to get technical.

thanks guys
Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-11-2009, 06:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

There is only one common issue with the A/C in our car that is (our own fault) modification related. That issue is an improperly grounded speed control device or Yellow box/jacket. This device is used to alter the speedometer after a final drive (gear ratio change) in the differential.
If this was your issue you would also notice the speedometer going to zero and the EPS light on.

There is no recalls or underlying issue with the A/C system with our car so, approach the issue you are having as if it was any other car that is 8/9 years old and has nearly 100,000 miles

If I were you I would put a set of gauges on the A/C and see what the pressures are. If the compressor is not kicking in most likely the refrigerant is low or none excitant.

Good luck and welcome
Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 AM

I work for an Auto A/C company. When this happens we tell our customer to run a direct 12V power source to the clutch and see if it will kick on. If it kicks on and cycles than the unit is fine and you need to look at other solenoids/wires/sensors?

Mat
Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 AM

i have a TSX that i thought the a/c went out (not same car but try this, can save u a lot of money) get a thin piece of wire and run it from the positive side of the batt to the power side of the compressor,have someone turn the car on and then the a/c on, while ur holding the wire in place. if the compressor doesnt engage then most likely the compressor is bad but check the wiring anyway...if it does engage the compressor is fine, check the relay(thats what was wrong with my TSX) and work ur way through the wiring to the compressor.

hope this helps!!!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:15 AM

Thanks guys!!!! Yeah ima def try the direct power to the compresser when I get a chance to get it on the lift. I was just seeing if there was a safty defult if the refrigerant is low..

Once again thanks guys once I get it sorted ill post and update..
Old 06-11-2009, 10:41 AM

Compressor will not click on if the system pressure is too low. Easiest is to check the system pressure. That should be your first step.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KPUDDYDAD,Jun 11 2009, 09:00 AM
If I were you I would put a set of gauges on the A/C and see what the pressures are. If the compressor is not kicking in most likely the refrigerant is low or none excitant.

Good luck and welcome
As posted^
Old 06-11-2009, 03:22 PM

Thanks again guys.. im going to check the system pressure in the morning, then if that isnt the case ill hard wire the compresser in and take it from there..
Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Former Moderator

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

Don't hard wire anything. You're asking for more problems. The compressor control runs through a the PCM and a relay for good reason.

If there is now power supplied to the AC clutch then there is an underlying problem preventing you from running the AC.

No refrigerant = No AC
Car overheating = No AC, the PCM won't turn on the clutch
Bad field coil = No AC
Clutch air gap to wide/worn = No AC

A volt meter or test light is all you need to determine if the Compressor clutch is getting power. If it's got 12V with the AC on, the system has enough refrigerant to safely operate. Don't add more R134 that also screws things up.

If you don't have 12V at the compressor, check for both cooling fans to be running. If both are running, youve got AC request from the climate panel going to the PCM and running the fans.

Fuse 20 (7.5A) under dash, and fuse 58 (20A) under hood supply power to the clutch relay. Check those next.

Both fuses good, swap the Clutch relay with one of the fan relays. If the compressor now works and a fan doesn't, you've got a bad relay.

Whatever you do DO NOT try and charge the system with a can of R134, especially those marked with "sealer or system conditioner"

You can't monitor system pressures correctly, nor evacuate air/moisture from the system. with no way to measure the system charge going in, or the current state of charge it is just about guaranteed you'd overcharge or undercharge the system.

I do not recommend DIY AC system charging, there are to many variables that can cause very expensive damage. The equipment needed to accurately charge, evacuate and leak check a AC system is thousands of $$$$.

Quick Reply: AC issues