S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AC Issue

Old 08-05-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Issue

My A/C went out, after I ignored the signs that it was about to happen, and now I cannot get the mg clutch for the compressor to spin. While I was tooling around with the relays I blew fuse 21 in the interior panel (Heater control/Cooling fan relay). Now the radiator fans wont spin, they were spinning before with the A/C switch on. I replaced the fuse with the same rated fuse from the power mirrors, still not working.. I have checked the relays to make sure they are getting voltage and pulled all 3 related to A/C and cooling fans to confirm that they have continuity, they do. The only thing I can think to do about the A/C is to check the connector at the compressor for voltage, I have not had time to get under the car yet. I am completely lost on why the fans worked and now the do not. I have checked every fuse I have seen between the three boxes.
Any advice is much appreciated, I have been reading old posts on the forum and messing with this for most of the day now.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylorman93
My A/C went out, after I ignored the signs that it was about to happen, and now I cannot get the mg clutch for the compressor to spin. While I was tooling around with the relays I blew fuse 21 in the interior panel (Heater control/Cooling fan relay). Now the radiator fans wont spin, they were spinning before with the A/C switch on. I replaced the fuse with the same rated fuse from the power mirrors, still not working.. I have checked the relays to make sure they are getting voltage and pulled all 3 related to A/C and cooling fans to confirm that they have continuity, they do. The only thing I can think to do about the A/C is to check the connector at the compressor for voltage, I have not had time to get under the car yet. I am completely lost on why the fans worked and now the do not. I have checked every fuse I have seen between the three boxes.
Any advice is much appreciated, I have been reading old posts on the forum and messing with this for most of the day now.
Have you tried powering the fans directly?
Old 08-05-2017, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Have you tried powering the fans directly?
I have not. Update though, I took it for a drive tonight and the fans perform their primary function (turning on to cool the radiator), however they do not turn on with the A/C switch. I'm going to get under the car today and see if I'm getting power to the compressor or not.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:42 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

I have seen one issue with the S2000 AC system, very simple.

The compressor clutch was slightly over shimmed. With the ac on, see of the compressor center clutch plate is spinning. If it's not, tap it with a screwdriver and see if it engages. If it does, re-shim to .005 thinner and you're done.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
I have seen one issue with the S2000 AC system, very simple.

The compressor clutch was slightly over shimmed. With the ac on, see of the compressor center clutch plate is spinning. If it's not, tap it with a screwdriver and see if it engages. If it does, re-shim to .005 thinner and you're done.
I gave this a shot (put a pry bar on it and tapped it with a deadblow), still not working.. I can move the clutch by hand freely, so I can assume it isn't seized? I was about to jack the car up to check the voltage and low and behold it started storming. Times I wish I had a shop or at least garage to work out of. I'm not allowed to bring my personal vehicles into work.