S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AC Compressor replacement

Old 04-22-2022, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Compressor replacement

It's getting hotter and I need to take the S2k from Texas to Las Vegas. My compressor crapped out a few years ago and I replaced the belt to bypass the compressor since I prefer topless, so it hasn't been an issue for a few years. In Las Vegas it's a new level of heat. Before making the trip, I was planning on fixing the AC system thinking it would be cheaper in Texas mainly. Total cost for a new AC kit (not sure what all is included in the kit) with parts and labor is about $2200. Remanufactured compressor and expansion valve was $1500 parts and labor. Both of these estimates sound high since a compressor kit from autozone is less than $300..https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...56_0?rrec=true

Any advice??

TIA,
-GM

Sorry if this is in the wrong channel, Im surprise this isnt a more lively topic since this is my second S2k with AC Compressor replacement needed.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:16 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Diy as much as you can.

Bring it in to have system evacuated.

Do the compressor yourself and any other needed parts.

Bring it back to have system leak checked and filled with refrigerant.
Old 04-23-2022, 02:33 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Do not get a remanufactured compressor, you're literally better off with a used oem one.

A vacuum pump set will let you do almost everything yourself. You really should have a shop recover the refrigerant out of the lines. However a manifold gauge will show you how much gas is in the system. If most of it has leaked out, you can simply press down on the Schrader valve on the low side, to vent any residual pressure. You should do this even if you evacuate the system with someone else's machine.

Change both the dryer and the expansion valve. Make sure you use pag60 oil, and get a new set of O-rings.

Changing the compressor is straightforward but tricky especially if you leave the alternator in place. Then you have to get it from underneath. Power tools will save you a lot of time, as the AC bolts are really long. So its definitely a workout for your forearms.

Almost all leaks happen at either the compressor, or the junction to the evaporator. Next likely candidate is either Schrader valve, the compressor is by far the most likely culprit. Once the shaft seal goes it spits out the oil and gas.

I would also replace the suction line coming from the compressor, if the compressor grenaded itself.

The expansion valve requires you to remove the battery and airbox to get access to the lines. It's a 4mm Allen key which can break, so be careful removing it. The drier is also a bit tricky to replace but straightforward.

That should cover car specific stuff.

Aside from that you can watch any of the million YouTube videos for AC repair.
Old 04-23-2022, 10:10 AM

If I am not getting an OEM replacement (I wont go for a remanufactured one either) are all aftermarket compressors basically equal? https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...56_0?rrec=true. This one is pretty cheap...I am thinking bring the parts to a shop and let them do it. The orginal shop said about 6 hours of labor. Of course warrranty matters but does anyone have compressors to stay away from that sort of thing?
Old 04-23-2022, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by gmabrito
If I am not getting an OEM replacement (I wont go for a remanufactured one either) are all aftermarket compressors basically equal? https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...56_0?rrec=true. This one is pretty cheap...I am thinking bring the parts to a shop and let them do it. The orginal shop said about 6 hours of labor. Of course warrranty matters but does anyone have compressors to stay away from that sort of thing?
The manufacturer of the compressor is Kehin. You don't have to buy from Honda. Kehin lists it as part number hs-090r.
Old 04-23-2022, 01:54 PM

Will this work? I was under the impression that amazon parts were inferior..
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-24-2022, 03:37 AM

Will this work? I was under the impression that amazon parts were inferior..
https://www.amazon.com/Omega-20-2156.../dp/B00K9OZGJW
Looks like a remanned, you're better off with a used compressor than a remanned one. Im on my second used compressor and the first used one worked like a charm for a good 5 years and likely would have kept working. Oh well, the replacement used one is working great, and if it lasts 5 years I can't be too mad. My first and only remanned compressor only lasted 1 year before the shaft seal gave out. I paid $380 for that remanned POS and that was in 2013 dollars.

In contrast my used compressors cost that much combined and last 5x as long.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:05 AM

What about the autozone, nappa, orielly options? Are those compressors any good?
Old 04-24-2022, 04:34 PM

What about the autozone, nappa, orielly options? Are those compressors any good?
99% chance they're remanned. You're literally better off going on EBAY and getting a used one.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:16 PM

Holy Crap....$1300 for for the kit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/35328111063...EAAOSwSYVfs8~K

Quick Reply: AC Compressor replacement