S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AC Compressor Explosion...

Old 04-01-2006, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Compressor Explosion...

So, I was driving to get lunch about a mile from my place... I started to slow down so I can make a turn into Joe's Deli and I hear a thud and I see white smoke... At this point I am think this cant be my car I must have drove into this smoke... As I continue to check my car I observe that my AC is blowing hot ass air... It is 80+ outside so I had it on high.. I proceed to check my car I am not an expert so I check to see if I have oil, coolant ect.. I then check my hoses to see if any blew.. I find that my hose didn't blow, but I think the whole aluminum connection of one of my compressor hoses has blown off... I didn't even know this was possible... I think it is the compressor directly under the alternator.. Is this going to be covered by my certified used car warranty??? Am I correct about it being the compressor?? I have pics, but don't know how to post them since my membership expired...
Old 04-01-2006, 09:50 AM

That's the compressor. If the warranty's still valid, it should be covered. Definitely keep the A/C off until you have it looked at. The oil from the compressor is carried around with the coolant in the system (which you vented all over the street). If you run it without oil, you'll overheat the compressor and potentially cause it to cease ($$$). Chances are that a bolt holding the fitting onto the compressor came loose causing the line to blow off.. hopefully it just needs reattaching and recharging. Has the A/C been serviced in the past?
Old 04-01-2006, 01:16 PM

Oh the line didn't blow the whole aluminum part broke off there is no fixing... The lines are all fine that is the weird thing... I think the whole thing needs to be replaced.. It is all broken.. The metal casing it is in is cracked and parts are detached.. It looks like it exploded... I have had the car serviced at Honda for everything oil changes, they are the only people who have touched the car... I sure hope they cover it...
Old 04-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Unless you've got another extended warranty, the original factory warrany has been up on your 00 model.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:22 AM

Do certified used warranties extend past the factory warranty?

I guess it's FUBAR. If your warranty is up, I suggest shopping around for prices to replace the compressor. Honda took me to the cleaners when I had to have my Accord's compressor replaced a couple years ago. If only I had my tools at school.. woulda been 1/4 of the cost.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:26 PM

In case they aren't covering it, I am in the process of removing my AC from my '02 car if you need a compressor or other AC parts. Drop me a PM if interested.

--
Brian
Old 04-02-2006, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll be covered aslong as your extended warranty is still valid. Just because its a "certified" used car doesn't mean anything though, you'll need to have an actual extended warranty.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:18 PM

Well, I have the 100,000 mile warranty that came with the car.. Thanks Brian I will let you know.. I am taking the car to Honda first think in the morning I will see what they have to say about it..
Old 04-05-2006, 02:58 PM

So, I took my car to Honda and they told me that I need to replace my whole AC system.. They went on to tell me that when the compressor blew up it shot metal fragments into the whole system.. They told me it will be about $3100 to get it all fixed and it wasn't covered by my warranty... Does this sound right??? I figured I could just replace the compressor...
Old 04-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

If the compressor turn to shrapnel and puts metal throughout the system, the only way to get all the metal out is to replace:

All rubber hoses
Condensor
Drier
Evaporator
Expansion valve

Metal hardlines can be flushed, but it is almost impossible to clear all the debris from the condensor and evaporator. The expansion valve is the metering device that allows refrigerant into the Evap, which can also be blocked by debris.

If you just replace the compressor debris that remains in the system can then damage the new compressor, causing it's destruction as well.

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Explosion...