S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ac clutch broke off the compressor

Old 07-01-2009, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ac clutch broke off the compressor

story:
I was driving home from the gym, driving normally it was hot and i had the ac about half bars full, then this new white amg c 63 cedes cuts me off and is but its still taking up both lanes. he had to slam on his brakes for the turn, and i didn't so i swung past him in the right lane as there was just enough room, i got ahead of him but i wasn't racing him or anything like that. Then i guess we both need to turn right at the next light and he wanted to pass as he was almost hitting me on the side since he could not stay in one lane so with his front end near my rear tire i just floor it in 4th with the ac on. I could hear his auto trans downshift and make a loud mean german grumble i thought he would fly by me, but some how he stayed where he was next to me and had to slam on his brakes to stop behind me at the red light. I could hear his exhaust over mine so i could tell he was on it, and i was shocked that he couldn't pass, i should have been in 3rd with no ac i would have gone way ahead, since the sprint was in a long s turn from 40-85 approx. but i know that turn well and have taken it at high speed many times so it was nothing new to me, and this guy was an aggressive rich arab moron, who could not drive his beautiful expensive car.
anyways
I came to a complete stop at the light, then slowly accelerated around the turn in first gear in the first lane he went wide and turned into the far left lane all over the road lol.

Problem:
As soon as i started rolling from a stop i hear this pop/clunk sound from under me, and as i went around the corner i checked my mirrors to see if i left some part of my s trailing.
But the car still felt normal as far as the engine and trans go. then i noticed my ac was all hot air. At this point i have no clue wtf is going on, but i wasn't far from home so i decided to just go all the way home, i had no check engine lights or any thing. Then i noticed at ilde-3300 rpm it sounded louder and ricey, but after 3300 it sounded like a normal sexy f22.
My exhaust mods are just a berk high flow cat, to stock exhaust with the resonater replaced by a high flow stainless steel resonator.
I thought that i blew out the cat material in the berk cat but i didn't smell any test pipe thing, or any refrigerant from the ac.
I found the hole in my exhaust on the ss resonator right where the guy welded a cast steel hanger, the whole welded section came off and there is a whole about the size of my thumbnail or bigger.
That explains the sound, and im not to happy that i had to go get it re-welded. But my ac still is pumping hot air.

What should i check?
wtf happened and why?
and who should i take it too that won't try to rape my wallet?

thanks guys.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Former Moderator

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

You have 2 separate problems unrelated to your Street Encounter.

Deal with them accordingly.

1. Fix the hole in the exhaust.
2. take it to a shop that can properly evacuate/recharge the AC system.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:46 PM

why did the exhaust and ac happen at the same time, its soooo odd.

Im going to get the hole weld shut tomorrow hopefully.

about how much should a full recharge be? what about if there is a leak in the lines. i didn't hear/see/smell any refrigerant, but i guess there could be a leak.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

At my shop $120 would get the AC diagnosed and charged correctly.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:32 PM

Maybe he dropped something on the road - hit your exhaust, hit something connected to your AC - maybe your condensor/lines. Hopefully its not cuz those things are pricey as hell.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:16 PM

check your condensor for damage
Old 07-01-2009, 11:08 PM

Evacuate and recharge is not a way to fix your AC.

Have it diagnosed properly and then the tech will advise you on repairs needed.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:46 AM

the condenser looks fine

im going to try a few places in the morning before work. Problem is i don't trust any of the mechanics near me.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by redi-ap1,Jul 1 2009, 09:08 PM
Evacuate and recharge is not a way to fix your AC.

Have it diagnosed properly and then the tech will advise you on repairs needed.
I think Slow meant take it to a shop that does it right (not vent to atmosphere)..
Old 07-02-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holes in exhaust will make me pass AMGs!!! Wow! Where is my drill?...

A/C shuts off above certain throttle position. Otherwise it'll really pump up the pressure over what the valve can bleed, and blow out a seal in a hose. Or a rubber hose.

Check yer A/C pressure. go to parts store, they have those gauges. Or buy a can of that freon stuff with a fillup hose on it, and a gauge. Just connect the hose, gauge will show you your pressure.

OR

Buy 2 cans (12 oz each) of freon, and the hose for the A/C. Then bleed all the freon out, then refill. Total cost: about $25.

Quick Reply: ac clutch broke off the compressor