S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ABS light on and won't turn off

Old 01-27-2008, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am unaware of a reset procedure for the ABS module to begin with, but that of course does not mean there isn't one. However, I have read somewhere that some ABS modules can't be reset by simply disconnecting the battery and always 'remember' the error and furthermore require a short drive to reset any error.

Just to make sure, I'm not claiming this is the case for the S2000, but I just wanted to share!

Take care,

Siepel
Old 01-27-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Siepel,Jan 27 2008, 09:05 PM
I am unaware of a reset procedure for the ABS module to begin with, but that of course does not mean there isn't one. However, I have read somewhere that some ABS modules can't be reset by simply disconnecting the battery and always 'remember' the error and furthermore require a short drive to reset any error.

Just to make sure, I'm not claiming this is the case for the S2000, but I just wanted to share!

Take care,

Siepel
Yeah, you must do a special procedure by jumping certain pins on the OBDII port along with taping the brakes in a certain order

Unfortunatly, the code still comes back not even a second after I reset it
Old 01-27-2008, 07:37 PM

Spec ops2087, I noticed in your 3rd post you refer to the SRS light. Is that just a typo?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Jan 25 2008, 07:24 PM
I used a paper clip and shorted pin 9 to pin 4 on the OBDII port, the SRS light flashed 2 long and 2 short indicating 22. I then did the reset procedure (holding the brake, letting off, etc) until it turned off, however it immediatly came back on about 2 seconds after I reset it. The helms manual says when that happens it means the fault was detected before the reset procedure took place.

I'm guessing it means that it picks up the code as soon as the car turns on (during is self diagnosis)?

After my attempt of a reset, I went out to drive the car and the light is still on and the abs is still not functioning. I'm thinking maybe my wheel sensor just decided to die?
Are you holding the brake pedal when you switch the ignition ON when you begin the procedure?

EDIT: If you can get the ABS light to blink twice indicating the ABS DTC was cleared, try switching off the ignition within 2 seconds of the blinking.

If you are getting the ABS light to blink twice, does it stay off for 2 seconds after? Or does it re-light immediately? I think if it stays off for at least 2 seconds you should try and switch off the ignition within that time. Good luck, fingers crossed.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 AM

[QUOTE=SenderGreen,Jan 27 2008, 11:37 PM] Spec ops2087, I noticed in your 3rd post you refer to the SRS light.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by SenderGreen,Jan 27 2008, 11:52 PM
Are you holding the brake pedal when you switch the ignition ON when you begin the procedure?

EDIT: If you can get the ABS light to blink twice indicating the ABS DTC was cleared, try switching off the ignition within 2 seconds of the blinking.

If you are getting the ABS light to blink twice, does it stay off for 2 seconds after? Or does it re-light immediately? I think if it stays off for at least 2 seconds you should try and switch off the ignition within that time. Good luck, fingers crossed.
yeah I hold the brake pedal, turn ignition on, etc etc till it turns off.

It will blink twice, turn off for maybe a second (if that) and relight.

Stupid abs problem came out of the blue
Old 01-28-2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Jan 28 2008, 07:15 AM
The yellow SRS light flashes the code and its the ABS that is always illumintated.
If the SRS is flashing the code, it's an SRS DTC, not an ABS DTC. You may have more then one DTC stored.

So SRS light blinks out a code when the DLC is jumped, but does not stay on when the car is started normally?

Does the ABS light also blink out a DTC with the DLC jumped? The ABS light remains on when the car is started normally, right?

Do you know anyone who has access to an HDS or older PGM-Tester? It may be worth hooking one up to try and figure out what's going on.

I have used the jumper trick before to pull an SRS DTC in a Civic. When I jumped the DLC and turned on the ignition, the SRS as well as the CEL began to blink out their respective patterns. It turned out the Civic had a pending DTC (one that was waiting for another instance to to trip the CEL) as well as an SRS DTC. I would think that the ABS light and SRS light would blink out their respective DTC's if you jump the DLC and turn the ignition on. (without holding the brake pedal. I think that's only when you are ready to clear the ABS DTC) At least that is my understanding.
Needless to say I'm a little stumped: ABS light ON with an SRS DTC?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by SenderGreen,Jan 28 2008, 09:06 PM
If the SRS is flashing the code, it's an SRS DTC, not an ABS DTC. You may have more then one DTC stored.

So SRS light blinks out a code when the DLC is jumped, but does not stay on when the car is started normally?

Does the ABS light also blink out a DTC with the DLC jumped? The ABS light remains on when the car is started normally, right?

Do you know anyone who has access to an HDS or older PGM-Tester? It may be worth hooking one up to try and figure out what's going on.

I have used the jumper trick before to pull an SRS DTC in a Civic. When I jumped the DLC and turned on the ignition, the SRS as well as the CEL began to blink out their respective patterns. It turned out the Civic had a pending DTC (one that was waiting for another instance to to trip the CEL) as well as an SRS DTC. I would think that the ABS light and SRS light would blink out their respective DTC's if you jump the DLC and turn the ignition on. (without holding the brake pedal. I think that's only when you are ready to clear the ABS DTC) At least that is my understanding.
Needless to say I'm a little stumped: ABS light ON with an SRS DTC?
You know I was starting to think something like that.

Its the YELLOW SRS light (I believe there is a seperate red srs light also?) that flashes the number 22, however it does not stay illuminated once the car is turned on which kinda confuses me.

The ABS does not blink when the DLC is jumped and remains on once the car is turned on (and will not turn off after driving more then 3 hours).

I might have to ask a friend of mine if he can borrow a tester from a honda dealership.

I run an AEM EMS so I don't think the CEL will work anymore despite what might be stored in memory. Maybe thats why I'm not getting the ABS stored DTC?

Yes you must hold the brake pedal to reset the ABS DTC (which I tried and it still comes instantly back). The SRS code 22 is something to do with the front left wheel as well but its strange the SRS light does not stay illumintated.

So maybe I'm not even retreiving the correct ABS code afterall?

Old 01-28-2008, 06:30 PM

Hmm, AEM EMS. I have no idea what that does as far as changing diagnostic procedure.

There is only the one SRS light. EDIT: not sure of the color.
The only reason I added to try jumping without foot on the brake pedal, was to see if the ABS DTC must be retrieved that way before starting over with the foot on the brake to enter the ABS DTC clearing mode.

I looked up SRS DTC 2-2:
"Increased resistance in passenqer's airbag inflator"
Which probably dosen't help much.

Hopefully SlowS2k will chime in about what the diagnostic limitations are when using AEM EMS with the HDS.

I don't know much about it. Do you have your stock ECU? Is it more than 3 plugs to throw your stock ECU in for diagnostic purposes only?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by SenderGreen,Jan 28 2008, 10:30 PM
Hmm, AEM EMS. I have no idea what that does as far as changing diagnostic procedure.

There is only the one SRS light. EDIT: not sure of the color.
The only reason I added to try jumping without foot on the brake pedal, was to see if the ABS DTC must be retrieved that way before starting over with the foot on the brake to enter the ABS DTC clearing mode.

I looked up SRS DTC 2-2:
"Increased resistance in passenqer's airbag inflator"
Which probably dosen't help much.

Hopefully SlowS2k will chime in about what the diagnostic limitations are when using AEM EMS with the HDS.

I don't know much about it. Do you have your stock ECU? Is it more than 3 plugs to throw your stock ECU in for diagnostic purposes only?
its just 3 plugs, I might consider doing it and pulling the code with my OBDII sensor (assuming that can pull abs codes?)

I didn't jump it with my foot on the brake. I only put my foot on the brake for the ABS reset procedure. without my foot on the brake, only the srs light flashes.

Quick Reply: ABS light on and won't turn off