S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ABS light under hard acceleration

Old 10-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ABS light under hard acceleration

I've been getting intermitant ABS light. It only seems to happen after hard acceleration (well into VTEC). Occasionally it will go out after a several minutes of normal driving, but usually I need to shut the car off and restart to get ABS back. I've also noticed that it seems to take longer for the ABS light to go out after start-up.

What is the method to pull the ABS codes or do they show when ECU codes are pulled?

Anyone else had a similar issue? What was the fix?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

You need the code before you can start troubleshooting. Autozone isn't going to be much help here, as generic OBDII scan tools don't communicate with the ABS controller.

You can take it to a dealer to get the code/troubleshooting done.

The other option involves shorting 2 pins in the diagnostic connector to retrieve a flash code. Modifry's website used to have the info on what pins to short.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend had a similar situation as yourself. Upon startup, the ABS light would stay on. It would only go out after several miles of driving. The car was also a 2001 Model.

Also, for some odd reason, when the ABS light was on, the air conditioning wouldn't work and also the side mirrors couldn't be adjusted. Very frustrating during the summer. It would be interesting if your car does this as well when the ABS light is on.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by S2KenC,Oct 27 2005, 08:10 PM
Also, for some odd reason, when the ABS light was on, the air conditioning wouldn't work and also the side mirrors couldn't be adjusted. Very frustrating during the summer. It would be interesting if your car does this as well when the ABS light is on.
I read that thread when researching before making my post. All other electrical components seem to work OK.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:32 PM

check your brake fluid level
Old 10-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Kwyjibo,Oct 28 2005, 02:32 AM
check your brake fluid level
Good thought..

Fluid is full though.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few thoughts.

Once an ABS error is triggered, the indicator lamp has to stay on until it's detected that the error is gone, thus also after key-off and start-up. Simply restarting the car will not reset the light.

You mentioned that the lamp stays on longer than usual after start-up, but you didn't mention you had to drive the car before the lamp goes off.

1) If you first have to drive before the lamp goes off:
There might be a problem with the pulse wheel and sensor, maybe dirt or the sensor on or the toothwheel or maybe one of them has become loosened or something like that. If you're running some wheels and tyres with very different rolling radii (also check tyre pressures) that could also trigger an error due to rotation speed differences. Generally this error is triggered because the ABS computer sees different wheel speeds when it should not expect it.

2) If the lamp goes off after a longer while without having to drive first:
There was an intermittent electrical disconnection somewhere in the system.

So the questions:
- Did you check your tire pressure lately?
- Have you mounted new wheels?
- Did you get new tires?
- Changes to the engine ECU and/or wiring?

Siepel
Old 10-29-2005, 08:58 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Siepel,Oct 29 2005, 06:13 AM
A few thoughts.

Once an ABS error is triggered, the indicator lamp has to stay on until it's detected that the error is gone, thus also after key-off and start-up. Simply restarting the car will not reset the light.

You mentioned that the lamp stays on longer than usual after start-up, but you didn't mention you had to drive the car before the lamp goes off.

1) If you first have to drive before the lamp goes off:
There might be a problem with the pulse wheel and sensor, maybe dirt or the sensor on or the toothwheel or maybe one of them has become loosened or something like that. If you're running some wheels and tyres with very different rolling radii (also check tyre pressures) that could also trigger an error due to rotation speed differences. Generally this error is triggered because the ABS computer sees different wheel speeds when it should not expect it.

2) If the lamp goes off after a longer while without having to drive first:
There was an intermittent electrical disconnection somewhere in the system.

So the questions:
- Did you check your tire pressure lately?
- Have you mounted new wheels?
- Did you get new tires?
- Changes to the engine ECU and/or wiring?

Siepel
Thanks Siepel...

I'll test to see if the light goes out without driving. I hadn't watched for that, but the next time it does not go out shortly after start-up I'll sit and wait...I'll let you know the results.

The car is stock as far as wheels. Tires are not new (8months old and the ABS issue just started this month). Tires are not OEM, but total diameter is identical to stock at the front and only .2inch different at the rear. Tire pressure is normal. No changes to the ECU or wiring.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:56 AM

My car does the same thing! I have an 01 and when i reach about 120mph or so the ABS light comes on and stays on until i turn the car off! then when i turn it back on it normally goes off in a couple minutes... I think it has something to do w/ wheel speed sensor....
Old 10-06-2006, 08:43 AM

Yep, mine does the same, MY2000 - over 120mph and the abs light comes on, and won't go off even after a restart. Usually goes off after a good few miles of driving.

Quick Reply: ABS light under hard acceleration