S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ABS kicking in too early?

Old 01-15-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arro
I have some experience with the HP+ pads. I ran them with Sumitomo HTRZ3 tires.
They do have a lot of initial bite and combined with “worn” V12’s, they can overcome the tire grip rather easily. I experienced this with the HTRZ3’s.

If you’re basing the early ABS engagement solely on what you’re experiencing while performing the Hawk bedding procedure, you’ll most certainly experience ABS. Your brake pads are heating up to their optimum operating temperature much quicker than your tires are heating up to theirs. Consider that when on track or driving hard for sustained periods of time, your tires heat up and provide more grip. This results in better braking and helps alleviate early ABS situations.

You cited a few braking speeds/sequences, are these the speeds you are using to bed the pads, or situations you expect to encounter during track/spirited driving?

Currently I run CT XP10/XP8’s for brakes and Direzza Z2 (formerly RS3’s) on track and they are never fully bedded until after the first HPDE session. It seems I’ll hit ABS occasionally until my tires are up to temperature.
That could be the reason why. I'll see how they feel during my next track event. I completely forgot to mention that I recently installed Tein Mono Flex Coilovers and that could also be reason why ABS is activating early. I tried solving this issue by getting some new and stickier tires (I was due and eager to get new tires anyways after having 8 track days stock).

My brakes are definitely or should be bedded in by now, put them back on two weeks ago.

It seems like the RS-3 takes a while to warm up, I'll see how they feel after breaking them in. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whomikedao
Originally Posted by Arro' timestamp='1420922339' post='23463319
I have some experience with the HP+ pads. I ran them with Sumitomo HTRZ3 tires.
They do have a lot of initial bite and combined with “worn” V12’s, they can overcome the tire grip rather easily. I experienced this with the HTRZ3’s.

If you’re basing the early ABS engagement solely on what you’re experiencing while performing the Hawk bedding procedure, you’ll most certainly experience ABS. Your brake pads are heating up to their optimum operating temperature much quicker than your tires are heating up to theirs. Consider that when on track or driving hard for sustained periods of time, your tires heat up and provide more grip. This results in better braking and helps alleviate early ABS situations.

You cited a few braking speeds/sequences, are these the speeds you are using to bed the pads, or situations you expect to encounter during track/spirited driving?

Currently I run CT XP10/XP8’s for brakes and Direzza Z2 (formerly RS3’s) on track and they are never fully bedded until after the first HPDE session. It seems I’ll hit ABS occasionally until my tires are up to temperature.
That could be the reason why. I'll see how they feel during my next track event. I completely forgot to mention that I recently installed Tein Mono Flex Coilovers and that could also be reason why ABS is activating early. I tried solving this issue by getting some new and stickier tires (I was due and eager to get new tires anyways after having 8 track days stock).

My brakes are definitely or should be bedded in by now, put them back on two weeks ago.

It seems like the RS-3 takes a while to warm up, I'll see how they feel after breaking them in. Thanks for the input guys.

Interesting.... My ABS also seems to kick in way too early and I also have Tein Mono Flex with XP10 pads all around on Sumitomo's

All I can assume is my tread is too low and I dont have enough tire to keep up with the brakes..... Can you guys over power the ABS system if you try and lock up the tires???? Iv never been able to lock up the tires on this car....