S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ABS kicking in too early?

Old 01-04-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS kicking in too early?

I switched my pads over to the HP+ for an upcoming track event.
I deglazed the rotors and pads then bedded them in.

It feels like the ABS is kicking in too early. I searched it up to see if there's anything I can do about it and people said to clean the sensors and make sure that it's about 1mm or less to the tooth. It hasn't helped but maybe I haven't cleaned it thoroughly.

So I'm starting this thread to see if there's anything else mechanical I can look and check before I start cleaning it and measuring it again.

I might just be expecting too much out of the pads?
Old 01-04-2015, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are your tires?

It looks like you got better pads so the brakes are working better and its easier for you to lock them up. Sounds as intended.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:12 PM

Hankook v12 with 7 track days on them. I've had them for 4 of those track days and now it doesn't seem like it's stopping as hard as it should.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

It could also be the bedding process is not complete and/or proper. I had the same issue with EBC Yellows and am thinking that is what the issue is (I only drove a short bit before winter storage). I think what happens is that by having the more aggressive pad at various stages of bedding on each wheel the bias might differ from wheel to wheel such that the system perceives it as a wheel getting close to locking. Maybe drive them a bit and the reevaluate.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:40 PM

I've driven on them for about a week just incase my bedding process wasn't proper. Would lack of grip of tires also trigger it? The Hankook V12s aren't really that great for track. I was planning on moving up to the R-S3 at a later date but it might time for some new tires if that's going to be the problem.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

What kind of deceleration Gs are you able to pull just before ABS actuation?
Old 01-08-2015, 12:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what speed were you when you start braking? and what pad did you use before?

Obviously v12 is not a very very grippy tire, so you can get your wheels locked very early with a good set of brake pads

For example, with NT01 and XP10, I don't really get ABS under moderate hard braking. However, with RS3 and XP10, ABS kicks in (wheels tend to be locked) everywhere if I brake same amount
Old 01-08-2015, 01:58 AM

I'm pulling about 1.09g before ABS.

Speeds range from 50->30 and 110->70->45

I might just get new tires, I think I'm asking too much of the V12s.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the same problem with my C6. The ABS intervention seemed disturbingly early during any braking event. This came after I upgraded my suspension to stiffer than Z06 specs but I was still the OEM GY run-craps. The bottom line was I didn't have enough tire for the suspension. Stickier tires was the solution.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have some experience with the HP+ pads. I ran them with Sumitomo HTRZ3 tires.
They do have a lot of initial bite and combined with “worn” V12’s, they can overcome the tire grip rather easily. I experienced this with the HTRZ3’s.

If you’re basing the early ABS engagement solely on what you’re experiencing while performing the Hawk bedding procedure, you’ll most certainly experience ABS. Your brake pads are heating up to their optimum operating temperature much quicker than your tires are heating up to theirs. Consider that when on track or driving hard for sustained periods of time, your tires heat up and provide more grip. This results in better braking and helps alleviate early ABS situations.

You cited a few braking speeds/sequences, are these the speeds you are using to bed the pads, or situations you expect to encounter during track/spirited driving?

Currently I run CT XP10/XP8’s for brakes and Direzza Z2 (formerly RS3’s) on track and they are never fully bedded until after the first HPDE session. It seems I’ll hit ABS occasionally until my tires are up to temperature.

Quick Reply: ABS kicking in too early?