S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ABS kicking on... Lightly braking 5-20mph

Old 05-15-2011, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just noticed the same problem recently. keep us posted, I need to figure it out before it gets worse
Old 05-15-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ///MIKE
Btw, on a cold start this morning, sloping kind-of down hill... the abs was going nuts while I was completely stopped. I don't understand that at all...
So with 0 mph on the speedo, all wheels stationairy, foot on the brake you feel the ABS pump kicking in the pedal?

Aren't the ABS sensors all the same?
Just a difference in the brackets?
IOW, can't you try to move sensors around and ty-rap them to the upper arm (for testing!)?
As long as the wires are long enough, you could swap front to back I guess.

What if you put the car on jackstands, all wheels off the ground.
Start engine, in neutral and have someone else turn a wheel by hand to see if you can recreate the situation.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by cts206
I just noticed the same problem recently. keep us posted, I need to figure it out before it gets worse
Got my new sensor in today. Putting it in tonight... damnit... this had better work. If it's the ABS control module I'm going to blow my brains out!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Originally Posted by ///MIKE' timestamp='1305300288' post='20571994
Btw, on a cold start this morning, sloping kind-of down hill... the abs was going nuts while I was completely stopped. I don't understand that at all...
So with 0 mph on the speedo, all wheels stationairy, foot on the brake you feel the ABS pump kicking in the pedal?

Aren't the ABS sensors all the same?
Just a difference in the brackets?
IOW, can't you try to move sensors around and ty-rap them to the upper arm (for testing!)?
As long as the wires are long enough, you could swap front to back I guess.

What if you put the car on jackstands, all wheels off the ground.
Start engine, in neutral and have someone else turn a wheel by hand to see if you can recreate the situation.

Yes, at 0mph while the car is completely stopped I've had it happen. Definitely the front right wheel doing it... I think the ABS "center magnet thingy" is different on every sensor. Not to mention, as temperamental as these darn things seem to be... I certainly don't want to start moving them around any more than needed.

I really want to pull my hand brake and run out to my passenger side sometimes... Tried to duplicate the other day... does it very rarely when the car is at a full stop. It is certainly changing braking distance for the worse.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 PM

Ok, changed sensor out. Took it for a spin... it's still there. Just as bad as ever. I am at a complete loss. I guess I'm going to have to take it into the dealer. I don't know what else I can do. Unfortunately, I don't have any money at the moment... so it's probably going to have to wait for awhile.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issues, but on a completely different car. The problem turned out to be a crack in the pulse-wheel. Perhaps you can check yours for defects?
Old 05-25-2011, 05:02 AM
Former Moderator

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Unplug the modulator and it will stop, but you'll have warning lights on
Old 05-25-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Slows2k
Unplug the modulator and it will stop, but you'll have warning lights on
I'll probably do that right after this weekend. I have a big Lincoln Pro / Tour event that I'm doing... and I don't want to have to re-learn how to properly brake / slow down, at this event.

I did disassemble all the brakes, re-lubed all the sliders, and re-assembled everything... no change.

It's just such an annoying problem.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Please keep us posted. I just replaced my RR wheel bearing and now it is doing the same thing to me but every time I come to a stop.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The dealer will probably remove and replace the main abs pump/controller for big bucks. They'll still have the problem so then they'll start to troubleshoot and find the real issue.

Quick Reply: ABS kicking on... Lightly braking 5-20mph