S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

85-140 Royal Purple

Old 02-06-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85-140 Royal Purple

Anyone use this stuff? I know it is not "Honda spec" for the rear-end, but I was just wondering if anyone who tracks their car a lot had switched to it and what the results were. If not, why not and have there been "bad results" published. I would think the higher weight would cushion the ring/pinion better and the 85 cold rating would be fine in colder areas.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

RP = garbage.
I used RP in another vehicle I owned a few years back. I used the exact fluid you're asking about - and the results were horrible.
It was used in my car following an inspection of the rear-end and axle shaft end bearings (this vehicle had a rigid rear axle).
Once a fluid is removed from my vehicle, I don't re-use it (and I had run out of Amsoil). The dealership doing the inspection offered the RP, and I figured it couldn't hurt. The Amsoil that was in the axle came out extremely clean (after about 20,000 miles), which had been the trend since I began using Amsoil in the vehicle 60,000 miles earlier.
Anyway, the RP was installed and 9,000 miles later my rear axle had to be rebuilt.
All the bearings were in perfect condition when it was checked out prior to the installation of the RP. 9,000 miles later, all the bearings were trash. The RP came out almost black (with a purple tint).
I watched them do all the work and install the RP. I trust few mechanics and can't stand warranty work. Nevertheless, the job was above board and everything was done by the book.
When everything was said and done, RP did nothing to back their product and the dealership took the stance that it was a failure of the fluid and not their work that caused the problems - and did nothing to compensate me. The dealership stopped using and selling RP.
I had an independent axle, transmission, diff dealer rebuild my axle and they had nothing positive to say about RP products. I will only use Amsoil, or LE (for track days).
Old 02-06-2007, 10:51 PM

The thickest fluid I would use in the S2000 diff is a straight 90 weight. Thicker fluid flows less and removes less heat. The clearances in the S2000 diff are designed for a 90 weight fluid.
I use Amsoil 75W90 Severe Gear for every day use and recommend
LE 607 (90 weight) for track days.
The Amsoil comes out looking new. I have a set of first generation 4.57 gears and the Amsoil quiets the gears almost as much as the LE. I get better mileage with the Amsoil: ~2 mpg better on the highway. The Severe Gear products from Amsoil replaced their Series 2000. It seems to be a definite improvement.
Tons of folks on the site have positive things to say about the LE 607. That many people can't be wrong.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:54 PM

I would recommend Amsoil Severe Gear 75W140 for your Pontiac. Amsoil also has a friction modifier already built into their product, but also offers a separate friction modifier for especially noisy clutch type LSDs
Old 02-07-2007, 01:17 AM

I have a Torsen T2 gear-type diff. Thanks for the un-biased and informational posts. I have felt so-so about the "install" for a while. I may very well have it drained. I hear too much "I LOVE IT!"/"I HATE IT" stuff about RP.

Most likely will go with AMSOIL or M1. THANKS GUYS!

(Still open to more opinions/testimony on this stuff!)
Old 02-07-2007, 01:25 AM

Just posted up your quote/story on LS1tech.com. I am kinda concerned. I want to see what they have to say about it there and if anyone has had a similar experience.

(Sorry, that shat was $12/qt!!! Lol. I want a few more opinions before I drain her!)
Old 02-07-2007, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by N/Apower,Feb 7 2007, 02:17 AM
I have a Torsen T2 gear-type diff. Thanks for the un-biased and informational posts. I have felt so-so about the "install" for a while. I may very well have it drained. I hear too much "I LOVE IT!"/"I HATE IT" stuff about RP.

Most likely will go with AMSOIL or M1. THANKS GUYS!

(Still open to more opinions/testimony on this stuff!)
I had a 4.1 torsen T-1 in my 1jz supra, as for royal purple, i used it for my supra's tranny and rear diff, both of them suck. I hate royal purple, i would use redline or amsoil. I am not sure about the 85-140, but there is one fluid from royal purple that has lsd additvies. Do not use that one, our diff does not use additives, b/c the torsen's are mechanical type diffs. the additives are for clutch types.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:03 AM

Most GM guys/dealerships put the addative in anyways. It quiets the "rusty screw" noise that I have always heard about but never heard. On LS1tech I have always seen people add it to no ill-effect. On my next oil change I am inclined to change to Amsoil or M1. Prolly Ams.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:40 AM

What about their motor oil? I havn't seen any reviews on their motor oil. Most of the stuff I see is ams or mobile1. I have yet to service my rear dif. but I purchased redline 75-90. I can service the gearboxes and stuff for free at my work place but I just need my own fluid.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:06 PM

mechanical diffs are not supposed to use lsd additives. I would just use redline or mobil 1, great results with both.

Quick Reply: 85-140 Royal Purple