S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

75W90 vs 75W140 transmission & diff oil

Old 07-05-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by c32b
thanks for your contribution and it's good to know I can probably use a good 75W90 without potentially increasing wear. I don't know about "money is no object" as I don't earn all that much. My S cost me quite a bit (local car prices are a bit mad) so I am trying to be doubly sure I don't blow anything up or increase wear to lead to additional unnecessary downtime. My family life and work don't allow the luxury to spend all that much time at the shops. To compound that, I dont think there is a local UOA service so it is not very convenient to keep sending my fluids to the US for analysis.

In any case, I take the opinions combined with data points like UOA to make a decision and frankly am very grateful at the generosity of the community with regards to info sharing. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much (if at all!) about the dynamics of oils but it's nice to know people are willing so water it down to I can at least understand the gist of it.
I wasn't targeting you specifically. It was more of a commentary on the new buyers of old S2000s we see lately. They ask questions but have already formulated the answer long before posting here. They just need to have their own feelings on the matter confirmed. When they don't get the answer they thought was coming, they get pretty belligerent. I have never been one to blow sunshine up anybody's ass.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper
Originally Posted by c32b' timestamp='1341541305' post='21837365
thanks for your contribution and it's good to know I can probably use a good 75W90 without potentially increasing wear. I don't know about "money is no object" as I don't earn all that much. My S cost me quite a bit (local car prices are a bit mad) so I am trying to be doubly sure I don't blow anything up or increase wear to lead to additional unnecessary downtime. My family life and work don't allow the luxury to spend all that much time at the shops. To compound that, I dont think there is a local UOA service so it is not very convenient to keep sending my fluids to the US for analysis.

In any case, I take the opinions combined with data points like UOA to make a decision and frankly am very grateful at the generosity of the community with regards to info sharing. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much (if at all!) about the dynamics of oils but it's nice to know people are willing so water it down to I can at least understand the gist of it.
I wasn't targeting you specifically. It was more of a commentary on the new buyers of old S2000s we see lately. They ask questions but have already formulated the answer long before posting here. They just need to have their own feelings on the matter confirmed. When they don't get the answer they thought was coming, they get pretty belligerent. I have never been one to blow sunshine up anybody's ass.
No worries, I didn't think you were, was just clarifying my stand. Maybe its a good idea to have an Official Engine, Transmission & Differential Oil thread much in the same nature as the other Official threads.

As for the self confirming bias types, staying clear is probably the best use of time.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:48 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by c32b
I realised I need to update that my final drive is now 4.44 (GT Motoring). Not sure how much of a difference this makes from me using the oils I do.
None, as far as I'm concerned.
The hypoid gears have a lot of sliding going on, that's just how it is.
They need good oil, especially on the track.
The less your oil is chewed-up by the ring&pinion the less it will change the Torsen behavior.

As for the trans: there are good quality true trans oils available.
75W-140 is way too thick.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use amsoil engine oil (10w-30), trans fluid (5w-30 I believe but has additives for smooth tranny operation), and diff fluid.

The amsoil 75w-140 is absolutely the best thing I've ever experienced. It makes the diff seem SOLID and responsive in comparison to the stock 75w-90 fluid. I recommend everyone use amsoil 75w-140 in their diff, even though it is expensive, and will make you lose a bit of noticeable power. (3-4hp) Heck, I'm so happy with amsoils stuff I would say their motor/trans/diff fluid is the only way to go thru out your drivetrain.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, is xviper back or not?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dhayner
I'm back --- sort of. I don't post in threads where there's obvious stupidity and ignorance. I will no longer save people from themselves. And when a thread starts to show dumb posts, I stop. After a while, this ... ... just hurts too much.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:08 AM

I have a 05 with 43k miles - stock..... what diff oil should i use?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:53 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RXM9600
I have a 05 with 43k miles - stock..... what diff oil should i use?
Stock weight.
Amsoil,redline and mobil 1 are great options.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:15 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Point is: a 2012 SAE 75W-90 (any brand) is not the same as a 1999 (stock) SAE 90.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by xviper
Originally Posted by dhayner' timestamp='1341718007' post='21842086
I'm back --- sort of. I don't post in threads where there's obvious stupidity and ignorance. I will no longer save people from themselves. And when a thread starts to show dumb posts, I stop. After a while, this ... ... just hurts too much.
Good to see you. I don't frequent this forum much any more, but remember your useful comments from the early days (still have my 2001 Spa Yellow).

Quick Reply: 75W90 vs 75W140 transmission & diff oil