S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The 6 17mm trans to engine bolts

Old 06-25-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 6 17mm trans to engine bolts

I am pretty much on the final stage of removing my clutch. I removed the 2 14mm bolts. It then states that you need to remove the 3 17mm bolts and then you remove the top 3 17mm bolts. My question is, after removing the 2 14mm bolts, I only saw the 2 17mm bolts. Also for the top 3, I see one on the passenger side, 1 on the driver side that holds a wiring harness of somesort it looks like, were is the other one located? Is it on the direct top in the middle or what?

Any help would be helpful. I am going out to buy a 1/2 socket wrench and 2+ft of extensions today after work as my 3/8 had to much slack when trying to free the top bolts.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 AM

The last bolt is on top in the middle. I think I used a 3ft extension to get at it. GL
Old 06-25-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,656 Posts

Yeah like listed above it will be in the middle.

The other bolts you can't see run from front to rear, so you have to look for them in the other direction, the ones you have located thus far run from rear to front. Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:40 AM

well I have managed to get the two loosened, as for the one that is directly in the top middle I just can not seem to get it out, the socket doesnt even seem to grip it too much either, It doesnt look stripped though I was using a 12 point socket, maybe I should go out and buy a hex 17mm socket?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:54 AM

I got it broken from the top with a pivot head crescent wrench. Did you lower the subframe?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lower the subframe as much as possible as well as the trans mount, detach that altogether. Then use a couple foot extension to get to it from on top on the transmission. This is assuming you have removed the engine bump stop as well.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 AM

Yes the subframe is lowered so I cant reach behind the engine now as it is right up against the firewall. I am only using two jackstands, After work I am thinking about getting two more and getting a jack that can lift higher. I can see the bolt at the top I just cant get it to break loose.

Currently the front of the car is only about a foot off the ground. I am very small though but even then its a tight fit, I feel as though if I raised the car in the back and have it another 6 inches, with using a breaker bar maybe I will be good? I just hate to see that I got all the way to the end and I cant get the last bolt off.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Grab two more jack stands and get the rear of the car up. Then go back to the front and jack that up as high as possible with the rear raised as well. Do yourself a favor and make it as easy as possible for yourself.

I think we actually went through the hole in the floor pan for the shifter to get at this bolt in question.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:24 PM

Yeah I just got 2 more jack stands as well as a jack that can go 19inches so the front should be up at least another 6 inches or so as well as a 24inch handle 1/2 drive socket wrench but if its too long then ill just return it. I am hoping I can get this out I really do not want to give up

I do have a 17mm box wrench that is about 8 or 9 inches but I feel as though it is not long enough to reach from the engine? Also after the engine tilted back, I can no longer fit my hand behind the engine now since it is tilted almost about to touch the firewall
Old 06-26-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't need a longer handle you need a long extension... the engine should be leaned all the way back to the firewall. Then from down below you reach all the way forward and loosen it with a long extension.

Quick Reply: The 6 17mm trans to engine bolts