S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

46k MILES AND A BLOWN MOTOR?!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didnt put regular unleaded in the car and run it to 9k rpm did u? That would cause the same spray can rattling sound
Old 09-21-2009, 10:09 AM

street ruler: it sounds like a rattling paint can or BBs in a coffe can but is sporadic. only happens then and again. seems like u have to rev it to get it to happen. if u still think it's detonation, then what's the fix - cylinders, block, etc.

seattle2k: yeah, it's cold. filter's down by front grill on the left. when I hit the water it washed up over the hood. I was doing 30-40mph and there was a lot of water on the road. the car immediately stalled but I was able to let it roll to the emergency lane. I waited a few minutes, started it back up and after letting it sit for a couple minutes, it smoothed out. that happened approx. 3-5 weeks prior to this.

4evertopless: always premium. No reason to think I got bad gas from anyone. I typically go to the same stations.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you lost an electrode, it has done cylinder damage.

If I was you, i'd be looking into sourcing a new/used motor
Old 09-21-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by shalbleib,Sep 21 2009, 10:09 AM
street ruler: it sounds like a rattling paint can or BBs in a coffe can but is sporadic. only happens then and again. seems like u have to rev it to get it to happen. if u still think it's detonation, then what's the fix - cylinders, block, etc.

seattle2k: yeah, it's cold. filter's down by front grill on the left. when I hit the water it washed up over the hood. I was doing 30-40mph and there was a lot of water on the road. the car immediately stalled but I was able to let it roll to the emergency lane. I waited a few minutes, started it back up and after letting it sit for a couple minutes, it smoothed out. that happened approx. 3-5 weeks prior to this.

4evertopless: always premium. No reason to think I got bad gas from anyone. I typically go to the same stations.
If you are sure on the gas, and it is indeed only happening at higher rpms, you may have an injector/fuel pressure problem.

Stay outa the revs (Below 4k) until you figure it out.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:43 PM

So I took it to an import shop vs. the dealer. (luckily I towed it since the dealership left the dipstick out!) The tech there, replced the plugs, inspected the cylinders, changed the oil and said there was nothing wrong with the car. The only thing I can figure is maybe the electrode broke and rattled around a bit before it was incinerated. Either way, I've been driving it for a couple weeks now w/ no issues whatsoever. The dealership was all about taking my money though.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by shalbleib,Oct 29 2009, 02:43 PM
So I took it to an import shop vs. the dealer. (luckily I towed it since the dealership left the dipstick out!) The tech there, replced the plugs, inspected the cylinders, changed the oil and said there was nothing wrong with the car. The only thing I can figure is maybe the electrode broke and rattled around a bit before it was incinerated. Either way, I've been driving it for a couple weeks now w/ no issues whatsoever. The dealership was all about taking my money though.
I would double check compression just to be safe. if you drove through water you could have barely bent a rod....if this happened the car would run ok (a little loss in power) but would run. i had a similar problem with a flood car. had a knocking noise that went away over time but ran bad so i pulled the oil pan and it had a bent rod. the knocking noise was the bottom of the piston hitting the crank. the noise went away because the crank ground down the bottom of the piston. i have pictures if you are interested!
Old 10-30-2009, 06:42 AM

yea that why i got rid of my cold air intake because it rains so much here in florida and im scared of running into a puddle of water and bent valves ,rods and lock up the motor ...
Old 10-31-2009, 05:41 PM

One plug is missing an electrode? Its definitly in the cylinder, and that means a new motor, were they stock oem plugs? were they ever changed?

I have a feeling that missing electrode could be your problem, or the mian cause, check your oil if its all watery and such, see if theres a lot of water in your motor from the puddle.

imo, missing electrode from a plug, just get a new motor man.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shalbleib,Sep 17 2009, 06:43 AM
hecash: why would I get another leakdown done?

ckit: I was told I was the second owner but think in actuality I am the 3rd. There was a lady that owned it before me. I bought it w/ 26k miles on it and have had it regularly serviced. No oil checks in between though.

More info if this helps: The noise didn't appear until I revved it past the Vtec. it then subsided minutes later. I went ahead and drove it back towards the dealership. I revved it again (in nuetral) and the noise reappeared. I drove it approx. 1 mile to the dealership and it continued to make the noise and stalled twice on the way. noise was gone by the time i got there of course. the dealership stated that the first time they drove it they could not reproduce the noise. not sure if they replicated the noise before they began diagnosis.

thanks again for any and all info!
Wow that's scary. ESPECIALLY on a 2000 model. Very lucky you didn't spin a bearing due to oil starvation. Early model ap1's are notorious for oil consumption.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:19 PM

Yea man I can agree on several of these guys' points. If you lost an electrode to a plug its just bouncing around scoring the hell out of a cylinder wall. Scrored cylinder wall = loss of compression. Yank the motor, sleeve it, boost the hell out of it, call it day. If the funds for a new block arent here right now, drive it til it absolutely NEEDS to be fixed, idk. My $0.02 worth

Quick Reply: 46k MILES AND A BLOWN MOTOR?!