S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

46k MILES AND A BLOWN MOTOR?!

Old 09-08-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46k MILES AND A BLOWN MOTOR?!

so far that's what i'm hearing. i'm hoping someone here might tell me otherwise. I've been looking through the forum and have only found one story that sounds very similar.

I took off to get out into traffic the other day and started hearing a rattling noise. Sound like metal on metal
Old 09-08-2009, 01:24 PM

Have you ever over-revved the car? Maybe mis-shifted?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:54 PM

Sounds like when my car chewed up the main bearings. Did you hear any ticking noises or anything before the rattling noise?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:58 PM

video of the noise?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:04 PM

also worst case

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=728571
Old 09-08-2009, 05:05 PM

Instead of your dealer taking your head apart, if you have the time you should do it. it's really simple if you have minimal experience with tools and mechanics. perhaps, take a friend with experience to help out.

your problems sounds pretty bad though, you wont know anything until you open her up...
Old 09-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1300 to take off the head? geez you can get a longblock for 2500 or less.
dealerships make so much money off their customers
Old 09-08-2009, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hecash,Sep 8 2009, 06:44 PM
It may be worth doing a compression and leak-down test first to possibly localize the problem.
Maybe maybe not. It's not a good idea to work the rotating assembly in the engine at this time.

Pull the plugs, inspect them closely first.

If they're ok, drain oil, look at it.

Then get a fiber-optic camera, they're like $200 or so, at harbor freight, or other stores. Take a look inside the cylinders.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:41 PM

I'm gonna throw my two cents in... but this sounds exactly like how I blew a motor on my old Porsche. With stalling and noise I'd wager you spun a rod bearing.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:37 AM

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Here's what additional info I know now - The plugs were supposedly very loose for some reason. One was missing the electrode??? Could this really cause this much damage? They performed a leakdown test. 35% in cylinder 1, 25% in cylinder 2, 0 in the others. Also, the noise isn't consistent. It comes and goes, if that helps diagnosis at all.

Pstanger - i have hit the rev limiter a few times accidently, but no real mis shifts.

notoriouspig (nice name btw) - my new house has walls on the side of the driveway and i noticed some ticking when pulling in the driveway. I wasn't sure if it was anything. I've heard others on the forum say the car just does that. what did you end up doing with your car?

kirpich - so I could get a good look at the cylinders w/o pulling the head if I go the camera route??? and what signs could/would the oil show?

i'll probably be picking the car up from the shop. i'll see if i can get a video then.

someone else on here had mentioned a timing chain tensioner issue. anyone know of issues with these that would produce a similar result to what I'm experiencing?

thanks again you all! parting out a Honda w/ 47k on it is unimaginable. i'd rather spray paint the diagnosis on the hood and park it in front of the honda dealership. any more input/insight is greatly appreciated!!!

Quick Reply: 46k MILES AND A BLOWN MOTOR?!