S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

45k service?

Old 04-04-2009, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 45k service?

I am about to hit 45k on my05 and I was wondering what all needed to be done for maintenance?

I was thinking I need
-oil (been using mobile 1)
-engine coolant flush ( have the ap1 service manual, so i figure the two cars arn't THAT different and I can figure out how to do it from there ) What kind of fluid should i be using here?
-break fluid flush? is this needed? if so I can't seem to find it in the service manual, is there a how-to somewhere on the board? if so I'm sorry but I searched for it, and couldn't find it.
-possibly transmission flush?
-K&N air filter, figure the stock one should be replaced sometime soon and I would like the better flow of the K&N anyways.
-spark plugs - what kind are recommended for a stock my05 with the exception of an exhaust?

Does this list sound good?

I bought the car @ 30k on the clock and so far the only things that I have done is oil change every 7.5k (need to do one soon) and i replaced the diff fluid ~ 7k ago.

Are there things that I should check or preform that might have been skipped? I am asking because I bought the car and it came with a my04 owners manual =/. But so far the S has been running fine with no problems, but I want to keep it that way.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recall that someone posted the maint schedule at some point. It may not have been in UTH but in S2k Talk or Library. SakiGT may have it somewhere since he Mods the S2k Talk...might shoot him a PM to ask.

But all those things you mentioned are fine.

Use the Honda coolant.

Look in the DIY FAQ for brake bleeding instructions.

Use Honda MTF for tranny oil.

Use OEM NGK Laser Platinum PFR7G-11S spark plugs. They are available at the dealer or at NAPA (PN 7772).
Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also note-

- Honda's maintenance schedules have always been something of a marketing exercise. Some common wisdom & technical advice is probably more worthwhile in determining what schedule is right for you. Note that without following the schedule you may violate a factory or dealer warranty, so keep that in mind...

- With M1 in the S2k I think most oil analyses will tell you 6k mi between changes is OK, provided you are using the OE or a high-quality "large" filter (not the smaller one other Hondas use) and you make sure the oil level is always full. I've seen multiple S2k's now with fragged motors due to owners not checking the oil regularly or making sure it's full.

- As negcamber mentioned I would only use OE coolant. NEVER use a chemical flush, I would hold to that for ANY car, Honda or otherwise. If it's done regularly, you should only ever have to drain and refill. If not done regularly then you should only ever need to drain and fill with water (pref. distilled), run for several minutes at temp, then drain and refill with coolant. As far as schedule goes, I recommend that you change the coolant every 3 years or 50k mi, whichever comes first. If you're doing a lot of racing then I would recommend doing it sooner (same goes for ALL maintenance). I'd also change the radiator cap and thermostat at no more than 90k mi or 8 years old, as they tend to fail with age and are relatively cheap insurance.

- The ap1 service manual will do you fine for all but electrical or engine components related to the intake & idle controls.

- Brake fluid shouldn't be "flushed" but rather "bled" and refilled every 2-3 years depending on use. Miles don't matter much unless it's all stop and go. Brake fluid picks up moisture and also dust from the system and will start to turn a coffee color when it's due for a change. By the time it's coffee colored it's past time to change. Most of it will go in water clear or a light honey color, and it shouldn't be allowed to darken much before changing. When racing it's critical to change this frequently, at least every season or so. Use a high-quality fluid like Motul or at least something with a high wet boiling point (300F or higher). Don't forget the clutch fluid... it's just brake fluid.

- For the trans, it's just a drain and refill like negcamber mentioned. I would also recommend the diff as well. Here you'll find as many opinions as people, from doing it at every oil change to never. Personally I'd do it at least every 30k as again, it's cheap insurance. It's mile dependent, too, not really age dependent. I also recommend sticking with Honda, though some people will swear on their mother's ass that this fluid or that fluid improves things. I've tried them all multiple times and can't tell an improvement.

-On the K&N, I would save your money. They tend to filter out less particulates (or fewer smaller particles) and the increase in flow isn't going to amount to any power worth doing it for. Again you will find a lot of opinions here but I would recommend the stock filter.

-On plugs, I would recommend the stock ones, or possibly the non-platinums, as I don't mind changing them more frequently, there is no performance loss, and they are a good deal cheaper. I'd do platinums every 40-50k mi on the S unless you drive like a grandma and coppers x2x as often.