S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

4.57 gears

Old 02-12-2006, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.57 gears

ok so ive been researching gears and am interested in ricks 4.57's. i have a MY01 and noticed that alot of people have said that it would be a good idea to replace the diff with a stronger one. why? if youre just changing the gears i dont get why you would have to reinforce the housing. so if anyone could help me out on that thanx. also this doesnt concern gears but i was wondering what the clutch delay is? thanx again
Old 02-12-2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by A769,Feb 13 2006, 12:45 AM
ok so ive been researching gears and am interested in ricks 4.57's. i have a MY01 and noticed that alot of people have said that it would be a good idea to replace the diff with a stronger one. why? if youre just changing the gears i dont get why you would have to reinforce the housing. so if anyone could help me out on that thanx. also this doesnt concern gears but i was wondering what the clutch delay is? thanx again
Replacing the S2000 diff with something that is tougher is an expensive proposition, so I'm sure most of the guys are running their gears in the stock pumpkin.

You do not have a clutch delay on your MY01 car.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Feb 13 2006, 12:02 AM
Replacing the S2000 diff with something that is tougher is an expensive proposition, so I'm sure most of the guys are running their gears in the stock pumpkin.

You do not have a clutch delay on your MY01 car.
actually it's sorta the exact opposite of what you're saying.

a big reason many people do the comptech diff IN ADDITION to the gears, is because of the cost of labor, should you decide you want the reinforced diff down the road.

when you get your new gear and pinion installed, they already have the entire diff apart. let's say they charge you $350 in labor to do your gear install. then, let's say later on down the road, you want to upgrade your diff. this requires the entire diff and gearset to once again, be reinstalled all over again. so, guess what... that's another $350.

in other words, you're killing two birds with one stone by getting them both at the same time. if you ever think you'll consider getting the upgraded comptech diff, then you might as well do it now, and save yourself the $350+ down the road.

also, the diff addresses the most common point of failure in our diff, and that is the flexing of the end caps, which allows the pinion to pull away from the gearset and ride on the edges of the teeth, causing premature ring/pinion failure. if you're going to launch the car alot or go FI, it's an extra bit of protection. I only know of 2 comptech diffs that have ever failed, and both were put through some pretty rought and tough heavy use.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:13 AM

so it would be a good idea to get the reinforced diff but i dont HAVE to? ive looked on ricks and see that the gears run $590 + all the additional install parts and yellow box. ive also heard that you can find that much cheaper from somewhere else, does anybody know about this? and thanx for the info^^^
Old 02-13-2006, 11:45 AM

You can get the 4.77 kia gears for 307 plus 60 dollars for the yellow jacket recalibrator.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:53 AM

Actually, I was responding to this statement:

ok so ive been researching gears and am interested in ricks 4.57's. i have a MY01 and noticed that alot of people have said that it would be a good idea to replace the diff with a stronger one.
I may have taken it too literally.

Anyway, I stand by what I said, in the context of which it was intended. When it comes to reinforcing the stock diff, with gears, I humbly bow to your experience.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by A769,Feb 13 2006, 02:13 PM
so it would be a good idea to get the reinforced diff but i dont HAVE to? ive looked on ricks and see that the gears run $590 + all the additional install parts and yellow box. ive also heard that you can find that much cheaper from somewhere else, does anybody know about this? and thanx for the info^^^
you cannot get 4.57 gears for any less than that, considering that rick's and HTG is the only place you can get them. it's a richmond gearset, only distributed through those two vendors. the only way you're getting one cheaper is to find a used set. (good luck with that!)

but to answer your question, no the reinforced diff is NOT necessary to have.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Feb 13 2006, 02:53 PM
Actually, I was responding to this statement:

I may have taken it too literally.

Anyway, I stand by what I said, in the context of which it was intended. When it comes to reinforcing the stock diff, with gears, I humbly bow to your experience.
haha, wise ass.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Feb 13 2006, 04:05 PM
haha, wise ass.
I'm just trying to bury the fact that I probably misunderstood the question.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:06 PM

touche lafluer.

Quick Reply: 4.57 gears