S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

3rd gear notch

Old 01-26-2014, 11:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3rd gear notch

I have a 2003 with 68K on it..bough it a year ago with 63K on it..love the car and everything about it except this 3rd gear notch that i consistently feel...and its extremely annoying!! ive read every thread on hear concerning the topic...seen everything from its normal and you need to shift above 5.5k and it wont happen..to you need to shift slower and let the synchro do its job....I have tried all of that and no mater what i will still feel a bump that I do not feel in any other gear. Now, it wont happen every time, id say it happens about half the time I shift into third...never had it happen while downshifting. '

I have changed the tranny fluid twice..once with the Honda MTF and now im using amsoil syncrhomesh...still does it. I have had all the master and slave lines flushed and bled twice..had the clutch pedal adjusted. It still happens. Its not a grind...there is no grinding noise associated with this. Just a VERY noticeable bump when shifting into third gear. I just cant wrap my head around this being normal. Doesnt make sense that this would be normal.

Can someone recommend me something to do next? the car is 11 years old and to my knowledge has never had the clutch changed. Should this be my next step? any advice would help
Old 01-27-2014, 03:02 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

My 2nd gear would grind, synchros. My third gear would occasionally have a notch to it. Still does, I just deal with it.

Had my 2nd gear swapped by Billman and that's gone. The third gear notch is still there but again, mine only happens occasionally.

Where do you live?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

im in orlando, FL . The weird thing about this bump is that its not a grind lol. Have never experienced anything like this in a manual car. Thats part of the reason its so annoying, I dont know what to do to fix it.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double clutch. My ap1 Shifts smooth as silk at any rmp with double clutch. Good luck.

Or shift above 5k rpms.

Also dont move shifter too far to the right when shifting to third. Just slightly away from first. That will also help.

My ap1 did the same as yours now I just double clutch and no problems at all. Hope that helps you it did me. Just search double clutching if you are unsure how to do it. It takes practice not a big deal.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I experience something similar. Once the car is warm, it more or less goes away. I also don't feel it when shifting at higher rpms. When shifting casually in the first 20-30 minutes of driving, there is definitely a slight notch to 3rd gear.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had something similar and it kind of went away with a heavy shift knob.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just push the shifter straight forward and let the return springs move it into position for third. Absolutely smooth as silk.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Polaris0352
I just push the shifter straight forward and let the return springs move it into position for third. Absolutely smooth as silk.
I notice the same thing. If I try to take the 2-3 shift in one diagonal motion, i do feel a little notch when going into third. It almost feels like it clips the edge of the gate. If I bring the shifter to neutral, then push it straight up, then there is no notch. This lengthens shift time, of course.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a little bit if 3rd grind when I got my car. In addition to what you have already done, I greased my shifter and got a weighted knob.

I tried Amsoil MTF, but didn’t like it. I’ve had the best results with GM Friction Modified.

Between these things (and proper timing), grind gone (I’m sure I could induce it if I tried).

I know yours is a bump and not a grind (this thread is dirty), but worth trying.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shifting at higher revs(5.5k and above) helps sometimes. This car is ok with being hammered the correct way.

Quick Reply: 3rd gear notch