S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

3rd gear grind in new S2000

Old 03-26-2001, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!

I just drove home in my new S2000, and I find that I get gear bind in 3rd. It's very light, but I can tell the shift isn't smooth by the feedback from the shifter. I can feel this in 5th too, but less so than 3rd. It does this quite consistently in 3rd. The car had 17 miles on it new, is this a bit high?

I bought the car from Lute Riley in Plano, TX. The sales experience was simply horrible. Can anyone here give me some feedback? I'm afraid that the car may have been abused before I took delivery.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2001, 04:46 AM

Netwiz, you may be feeling roughness that exists in almost every transmission but is filtered out with sloppy linkages, bushings or cables. The S2000's shifter is very direct, so you feel everything.
Old 03-27-2001, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine had 17 miles on it at delivery, and I know for a fact that no one but the mechanic who prepped it drove it before I did. The mechanic drove it the minimum required for prep. My dealership is the best. This is my sixth purchase from them. I made weekly trips to drool from the time I made my deposit in April until I picked it up in November. Not even the owner Dick Weber or the salesman Myrna Arnold drove it before I did.

Seventeen miles is nothing unusual. It would be pretty hard but not impossible to ruin the transmission in 17 miles, anyway.

You might have a problem, but I wouldn't attribute it to dealer negligence. It is more likely a manufacturing tolerance problem, or nothing at all.
Old 03-27-2001, 05:53 AM

Thnks guys. You've made me feel at least a little better. The only thing I'm worried about now is if the syncros do need replacing, will the dealer do them w/o resorting to the "abuse" mantra in order to prevent warranty work?

BTW, Lute Riley in Plano TX is populated w/ quite possibly the most idiotic sales staff ever. Edwin Clawson in particular is a semi-illiterate simpleton, and should be avoided at all costs. The guy couldn't spell "engineer" properly, and was unable to locate the "Break-in, New Car" section in the owners manual. He was a complete moron. I will NOT be buying another vehicle from him or that establishment.
Old 03-27-2001, 07:11 AM

Your car is brand new and needs time to break-in. It's probably not a problem, but re-assess the situation after you've put some real mileage on it.
Old 03-27-2001, 07:42 AM

The trans is stiff until it is warmed up well. Don't worry, it should improve with break-in.
Old 04-04-2001, 07:48 PM

After 15K miles my tranny is still a little notchy when cold, but gets better after warmup. Sorry about your buying experience; I hope ownership is more satisfying for you.
Old 04-07-2001, 04:45 AM

I had a similiar problem with my s2k, but after I put on about 550 miles, it pretty much was gone.
Old 04-08-2001, 05:11 AM

At 2,500 miles, my 3rd gear engagement has a distinct, metallic notch felt as the gear is engaged. Not gear clashing, but probably the synchronizer causing more resistance than it should. This has occured since new, and, interestingly, sometimes does not appear when shifting up from second at 4,000 rpms or higher. It never happens when shifting down from 4th.

It doesn't feel right, but doesn't feel like something is wrong, either.
Old 04-09-2001, 12:45 PM

Same thing here, when the car is cold, I notice it occasionally. Once it's warm it goes away. It seems to be getting more and more infrequent though.

Quick Reply: 3rd gear grind in new S2000