S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

3rd gear grind

Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gear grind

I have a grind in 3rd gear.. It's as if when I shift at high Rpms it grinds nasty.. And it's only third gear that does it.. The rest of the gears feel smooth.. What could it be?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giozilla
I have a grind in 3rd gear.. It's as if when I shift at high Rpms it grinds nasty.. And it's only third gear that does it.. The rest of the gears feel smooth.. What could it be?
are you shifting diagonally into the gear or actually doing the correct H-pattern? could be as easy as fixing how you shift.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Andersonracing
Originally Posted by Giozilla' timestamp='1371787223' post='22621951
are you shifting diagonally into the gear or actually doing the correct H-pattern? could be as easy as fixing how you shift.

Hm.. I never really thought of thought. when I go for my drive today I will pay attention to the way I shift. Also what do you guys recommend for transmition oil? Maybe it needs a flush and some new oil. I just got the car two weeks ago and only changed the reg. motor oil and coil packs along with spark plugs.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Andersonracing' timestamp='1371834858' post='22623056
[quote name='Giozilla' timestamp='1371787223' post='22621951']

Hm.. I never really thought of thought. when I go for my drive today I will pay attention to the way I shift. Also what do you guys recommend for transmition oil? Maybe it needs a flush and some new oil. I just got the car two weeks ago and only changed the reg. motor oil and coil packs along with spark plugs.
[/quote]
Honda MTF.

and seeing as you just got the car, you probably already know but check your oil every time or every other time you get gas! these things love to eat it!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What are the RPM's that you feel the grind?

Is there an RPM range that shift smooth?

Guessing it is from 2nd gear into 3rd?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 PM

Honda MTF.

and seeing as you just got the car, you probably already know but check your oil every time or every other time you get gas! these things love to eat it!
Ya I'm going to check the oil tomorrow.. Lol crazy how the love it. Should I flush out the old oil and do a full oil change or just add? And ya I was that Honda mtf is good. I also got redline recommended to me. I'm still doing research on both.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:28 PM

Honda MTF.

Ya I'm going to check the oil tomorrow.. Lol crazy how the love it. Should I flush out the old oil and do a full oil change or just add? And ya I was that Honda mtf is good. I also got redline recommended to me. I'm still doing research on both.
Just go with the Honda MTF, drain whats there and fill her back up. Also you can easily pull the shifter apart to re grease it with Honda lithium grease.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Giozilla' timestamp='1371866955' post='22624081

Honda MTF.

Just go with the Honda MTF, drain whats there and fill her back up. Also you can easily pull the shifter apart to re grease it with Honda lithium grease.
Deff will. I need to get these things addressed quickly. I want to AutoX my car soon. and hopefully do a road course.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:03 AM

shifting diagonally really shouldnt cause synchro grind. i would have greater suspicion for clutch drag or your clutch timing shifting to third. drag could mean your clutch is not fully depressing which can be as simple as bleeding the system, or adjusting the clutch rod. also could be driver error not pressing the pedal far enough during the shift or letting it out prematurely during the shift (which is more common shifting the lever into third which usually takes longer then straight back like 1-2 and 3-4). how many miles on the car?
Old 06-22-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sneeze2K
shifting diagonally really shouldnt cause synchro grind. i would have greater suspicion for clutch drag or your clutch timing shifting to third. drag could mean your clutch is not fully depressing which can be as simple as bleeding the system, or adjusting the clutch rod. also could be driver error not pressing the pedal far enough during the shift or letting it out prematurely during the shift (which is more common shifting the lever into third which usually takes longer then straight back like 1-2 and 3-4). how many miles on the car?

I am by no means a new driver. I have been driving manual for years and never had this problem. I noticed this only happens when going from 2-3 not when down shifting from 4-3. I always make sure I press the clutch all the way down. Idk what it could be. theres 92,600. on the car. I bought it with 1 owner on it. not sure if they ever changed the clutch. but i rather it be a clutch problem then a tranny problem.

Quick Reply: 3rd gear grind