S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

30k Service HELP

Old 06-12-2003, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 30k Service HELP

With in about 30 days I'll need to do my 30k, yes 30 (daily driver) service on my car. Not sure if I'll go to the dealer or not. They want about $310!!!

I'm running Mobil 1 syn oil and will be upgrading the brake fluid in the next week, etc.

What would you guys recommend as far as the other 30k goodies including the tranny fluid? Should I go syn? If so, then what brand, etc.? What about the fuel filter, a/c, etc.? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My thought is if I go to the dealer, which I most likely will, I'll just have all the fluids, filters, etc. that are the BEST for my car.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Your owner's manual will tell you exactly what is involved with this service. I'm sure you'll find that many of the things listed are "inspection" items which an average car enthusiast can do himself/herself. We pay somebody to take a 10 second look and say, "Uh-huh"?
As for what you should be doing in terms of changing fluids, only you can be the final judge of what you want to do. Has your car been performing to your satisfaction? If so, why change something if it ain't broke?
If you scan the forums you'll see mention of the following dotted all over the place:
Mobil 1 75W90 synthetic for the diff.
Honda MTF, MT 90, GM Syncromesh, redline, etc for the tranny.
Read these and make the choice based on your own feelings.

In response to your specific questions:
Fuel filter - this is in the tank and is part of the fuel pump assembly. Do you have especially dirty fuel where you live? Getting at this filter is not easy. Do you suspect it to be getting plugged?
The A/C system has a filter. This is owner changeable. Your manual will tell you how and when. Has it been working OK? If so, leave it alone. If not, have it checked. You might need a re-charge.
Common sense and a little research will save you some money. If money is no object just take it to your dealer and tell them, "Here, do what you have to do and tell me when it'll be ready." Just don't let them put in Honda diff fluid. They don't make a diff fluid for the S2000. Whatever they have is NOT for this car and may damage it. Ask "Incubus".
Old 06-12-2003, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 30 thou mile service done last week it was $360.00. There was nothing wrong with my car, they only changed the fluids that were included in the service. Nothing extra. I guess that is the going price.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:23 PM

Thanks for all of the info. I'll definitely research the site now that I have a few "clues." I LOVE the car big time. Heck, I helped start a club here in town. In fact, this month is our 1 year anniversary. We've gone from 3 at the first meet to 23 RSVPs for the 1 year.

I notice things from time to time when driving the car but nothing I'd say is troubling. I'm not the least bit mechanically inclined so I'm never sure. I would like to "upgrade" what ever fluids, filters, etc. I should as it comes time to change. That's I guess more my thought process. I'm about to do a whopper so to speak so might as well do it right.

I do have a girl at work who's husband is a mechanic. I've gone to him a couple times to swap out calipers, etc. In fact, he'll be installing my new rotors, pads, lines, and fluid probably next week. After reading your post, I'll discuss the 30k with him and see if he's up for the inspection, etc.. I'm sure he'll probably charge me a couple bucks and a bottle of his favorite dark. Good guy and VERY honest.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:57 PM

I don't take mine to the dealer, only if it's a warranty issue. I take mine to Formula H, all they work on is Honda and Acura. Their work is very good.
Jeff and Brian Baker own the shop and they are S car 'efficionados' they have a couple of the origonal S cars. One of them came to Fall Colors last year.

They have a website with the history of the S car, and, they have a meet every year with people from all over the country that attend. Generally it's only for people with S500 & S600. They have expressed to the S2000 owner that they may attend as well.

Now that I have rambled on......Good luck and enjoy.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:15 PM

vmoul - no worries about rambling, I'm known to do the same. Thanks for your input. You gotta love this site. Tremendous resource is an understatement.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:37 PM

Yup, love this site. The info here is very plentyful. I wish I knew about this site when I first bought my S. I found the site about 1 year later. I'm not very mecanically inclined when it comes to mechanics, to do them myself but, when something is wrong I can usually tell what it is.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:48 PM

I agree. I wish I had this site when I bought mine as well. I found it about 6 months later. I could have saved some money but I'm still VERY happy with my choice.