S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

30k Honda Service Costs?

Old 08-17-2004, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might Honda try to void any warranty if the 30k tune up and inspection isn't done by them?
Old 08-17-2004, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by newsguy,Aug 17 2004, 12:20 PM
Might Honda try to void any warranty if the 30k tune up and inspection isn't done by them?
they can't, its illegal to do so
Old 08-17-2004, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Icemn2003,Aug 12 2004, 02:47 PM
i kno i can change all the fluids and stuff, but I like to have them look over the routine inspection items, just to be safe
You're paying them a few hundred to touch some hoses and "visually inspect" the car. This is something anyone can do with two eyes. Don't let them "scare" you into believing that they need to have trained technicians look over the car. You can have it done as part of a routine service at Jiffy Lube!!! Or just go for an oil change and have the tech check under the car. It'll save you what they'd charge as part of the 30K service.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by natedoggs2k,Aug 17 2004, 03:51 PM
You're paying them a few hundred to touch some hoses and "visually inspect" the car. This is something anyone can do with two eyes. Don't let them "scare" you into believing that they need to have trained technicians look over the car. You can have it done as part of a routine service at Jiffy Lube!!! Or just go for an oil change and have the tech check under the car. It'll save you what they'd charge as part of the 30K service.
Hm, you make a good point NateDogg, but I was thinking it would be less if I JUST had the visual inspections done? I just got a thing from the dealer for a $30 for an oil change and a 20 (?) point inspection. If i could get a 30 dollar inspection, that'd be fine, if not, I can figure out how to inspect everything myself.

Thanks for the eye-opening!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:16 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Do it yourself. Keep all your fluid and parts receipts for warr. if you need.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Icemn2003,Aug 17 2004, 10:04 PM
Hm, you make a good point NateDogg, but I was thinking it would be less if I JUST had the visual inspections done? I just got a thing from the dealer for a $30 for an oil change and a 20 (?) point inspection. If i could get a 30 dollar inspection, that'd be fine, if not, I can figure out how to inspect everything myself.

Thanks for the eye-opening!
Bring your own oil and filter and it'll be even less. I've done that a few times if I've had questions about the car. It ends up costing me less than $9, and I get what I want checked out in the process.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by natedoggs2k,Aug 18 2004, 08:05 AM
Bring your own oil and filter and it'll be even less. I've done that a few times if I've had questions about the car. It ends up costing me less than $9, and I get what I want checked out in the process.
Now THAT's an idea. Hell, tell the seller you'll get them a free oil change, and you get a free inspection out of the deal!!

By the way Nate, did you pickup your '03 from a private seller or dealer?
Old 08-23-2004, 10:07 PM

I can tell you one thing..If your service work isnt done regularly with your dealership, you ARE treated differently. wrong as it may be it happens.. as a honda technician i can vouch for this. alot of techs will make decisions based on the vehicles history with the dealer. not to mention alot of the goodwill repairs we do rely on customers loyalty and service history.
for example; you have just crossed the warranty mark at 37k miles. your transmission goes kerplunk.. you are eligible for goodwill consideration.. the first thing they ask is-- how is the customers history?? has she kept up with his/her services? if the answer shows nothing on file- your SOL...
on the other hand....you willl most likely get the part paid for if you have kept up with your services. they sometimes will offer to pay for half, three quarters or just the labor. it all depends on your situation. ive seen cars goodwilled with up to 70-80k on them!!not small stuff either -complete tranny jobs!! or other major repairs.
the smartest thing to do is find yourself a reputable honda service technician and stick with him. there are alot of hacks out there believe me i see it more than i should. the problem is all the good ones have to carry that reputation with them. its not hard to find the one you want. just ask for a team leader or a shop foreman. it also helps to b.s with them when and if the shop permits you to.
it is YOUR money you decide where it goes and how it is used. you pick the guy!! he may be busy, so make an appointment and schedule him for the job...
even though there are nightmare stories, they do see these cars everyday. that being said..a good technician is far better than saving yourself a little dough anyday...
Old 08-24-2004, 03:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hboy makes some very good points. Finding a good technician and sticking with him/her can pay off down the road. I've managed to have very good relationships with several automotive techs and I think that even my in-warrantee repairs went more smoothly than otherwise. A case of beer delivered every now and then doesn't hurt either . One final consideration is that Honda techs see WAY more problems and should have a much better mechanical sense than most, so they should be better at recognizing and diagnosing S2000 specific issues.

The challenge is to find the GOOD ones. On my cars (not just the S2000) I've seen the work performed by some so-called "professionals", and these include stripped nuts and bolts, improperly torqued fasteners (either too loose or WAY too tight), improper fluids used in the car, and incorrect diagnoses that waste everyone's time and money (even when the correct one was suggested in the first of 4 visits).

Another point to consider is that when the time comes for the special consideration for out of warrantee repairs, the money and time that you save by doing routine maintenance yourself may well more than pay for the repair, even an expensive one. By the time 45k miles comes around, I've typically done 10 engine oil and filter changes, 3 transmission and differential fluid changes, 3 brake fluid flushes, 2 coolant changes, 2 valve adjustments and numerous inspections. This realizes a savings of approximately $1,500 that can go towards a repair if needed. If I don't need any special work, then I'm ahead.