S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2nd Gear Crunch Issue

Old 09-30-2013, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gear Crunch Issue

I know there's probably many threads but I’m looking for help.

It’s been a few months now since I got the car and there are two problems that’s been bothering me. Struggling startup is one issue but the biggest one is the 2nd gear crunch when the car is cold. This wasn’t a noticeable issue until the weather started getting cold.

About the car:
Silver 2004 Honda S2000 AP2
55k miles

The crunch issue: (main concern)
1. Only happens when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Shifting down from 3rd to 2nd seems fine
2. Even when I know clutch is press to floor…crunch
3. Attempting to shift slower…crunch
4. Double clutching… helps but sometimes I get the crunch (but could be due to driver error)
5. Goes away after 10-25 minutes of driving depending on temperature then buttery smooth.
6. Im street driving not racing.
7. Does not happen when parked, only when moving

The startup issue:
1. Once I press the ignition button the first start either fails then the second starts attempt is fine.
2. Or.. It struggles on first attempt and the idle sounds like it struggling then goes to normal idle rpm
3. I heard the startup issue is a common thing for the s2000 when cold but don’t know for sure.

I made a thread about this issue about 2 weeks ago about the crunch issue and tried here’s an update of everything ive done as far as maintenance and attempting to fix the crunch and startup last week..
1. Changed transmission fluid – Honda MTL (silver bottle/green label)
2. Changed clutch fluid
3. Tried to adjust the clutch but changed it back frustrated cause I still had the crunch. (maybe I should of gave it more time to test more)
4. Changed differential fluid – Amsoil severe gear 75w110
5. Changed spark plugs – NGK iridiums

I really love the car like any other s2000 owner but this crunch is seriously ruining my experience and causing frustration every morning/night when temps are at its coldest. I need any kind of help, advice, DIYs, or any sort of information on what could it be or what I could do to fix it.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 AM

Received 1,385 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Mine, '06 AP2, does the same thing, only its more like 5 min before it warms enough to shift well.

My solution is to just wait to shift at a higher rpm (like 4K), and also double-clutch if its really cold. You don't want to rev a cold engine, but 4K in our cars is not really rev'ing it. Its actually worse to lug a cold engine, so shifting below 3K when cold is probably much worse for our cars.

Try the shift at higher rpm thing.

I DD mine all winter, except when there is actual snow/ice on road, and also am in North East. Unless its in the teens or below, mine warms up to shift well in 5-10 min.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 1,385 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Oh, and the rough idle thing/hard starting thing, try cleaning your throttle body and IAC valve.

Did you do a valve adjust yet? Maybe try that. You already did plugs.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Taking the rpm's up to 4k before shifting to 2nd will help. Regreasing the shifter ball will take care of the problem though.

Assuming your battery is strong, then it could be the starter needs changed. Your about at that mileage. As it gets colder, you might notice starter grind after the car starts too.

Good luck!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

had the same problem but now it is gone.. i think the transmission fluid needs some time to have an effect.

Also: I believe shifting faster makes the grear go in smoother. Rev up to 4k and then try to QUICKLY shift. I think for me it works better than shifting slowly. No crunch, no weird feeling in the gear knob.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by zakazak
had the same problem but now it is gone.. i think the transmission fluid needs some time to have an effect.

Also: I believe shifting faster makes the grear go in smoother. Rev up to 4k and then try to QUICKLY shift. I think for me it works better than shifting slowly. No crunch, no weird feeling in the gear knob.
Hmm.. I'll give it a try when I get out of work in a couple hours. Does shifting quicker also apply when the car isn't in full operating temperature?

I usually shift at 3.5k and move the shifter slow when the car is still warming up cause I'm afraid to do damage but end up getting the crunch and I feel it in the shift knob too. So I end up double clutching which I sometimes find annoying to do lol.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:09 AM

I just changed it my first post, but after I adjusted the clutch I changed it back to how it originally was due to frustration thinking "What was the point?" cause I still had the crunch. Maybe I should of gave it more time to test more??
Old 10-08-2013, 08:59 PM

Update: shifting quick does help. Thanks.

But why does it help? It doesnt seem normal to me to shift fast in order to avoid a crunch.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 PM

My '07 does the exact same thing. Crunches from 1st to 2nd and is smooth from 3rd to 2nd when the car is cold. I have learned shifting quickly and @ a higher RPM is the best way to avoid the crunch from 1st to 2nd. Not sure why it works. It frustrates me too, but at least it goes away after the car is warm.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

my suggestion is during warm up, i roll slowly out to the main streets in first gear to help fluids warm up in the trans. please do not take it up to higher revs during warm up. during 1st and 2nd gear the engine speed drops fast. by shifting faster you do not let engine speed drop as low. im not very eloquent in my wording but its something along those lines.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gear Crunch Issue