S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2nd cat clogged, replacement 950!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't changed your O2 sensors yet, this could be causing your catalyst failures:

http://www.autotap.c...maintenance.asp

I'll be changing mine this morning. I planned on doing this last summer when I noticed my UOA's starting to show higher fuel dilution and my Actron Auto scanner showed the sensors to be sluggish. But when I had it on jack stands, I realized it would be easier to do on a lift since the wire stowage was pretty complicated. It goes into a shop today.

This happened on my Volvo. O2 sensors went bad and I waited too long to fix. Then the CAT went out. Volvo wanted to charge $2400 for the install. Bought a CAT online for $450 and a friend installed it. Too bad you can't get a cheap CAT in Cali like a Berk HFC. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Triguy
If you haven't changed your O2 sensors yet, this could be causing your catalyst failures:

http://www.autotap.c...maintenance.asp

I'll be changing mine this morning. I planned on doing this last summer when I noticed my UOA's starting to show higher fuel dilution and my Actron Auto scanner showed the sensors to be sluggish. But when I had it on jack stands, I realized it would be easier to do on a lift since the wire stowage was pretty complicated. It goes into a shop today.

This happened on my Volvo. O2 sensors went bad and I waited too long to fix. Then the CAT went out. Volvo wanted to charge $2400 for the install. Bought a CAT online for $450 and a friend installed it. Too bad you can't get a cheap CAT in Cali like a Berk HFC. Good luck!
i live in a small town in cali and the smog guys dont care if you have a high flow cat. As long as the numbers at the tailpipe are still within the specs, it will pass. Really it depends on how strict the smog guys are. Some will tell you no.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I sold my old oem S2000 cat for $75 shipped! They can be found very cheap and an easy 10 minute install.