S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2005 s2000 vibrating bumpyness with acceleration

Old 09-10-2012, 05:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lol, very frustrating to read this thread.

Most of us have run into the same problem that you are facing right now. Usually the issue becomes immediately noticeable after installing lowering springs or coilovers, or getting a new alignment, or anything that could change the suspension geometry of the car. The CV cups get pitted over time. Your car likely has a good amount of mileage on it, somewhere between 60-100k I am guessing? The pits were formed from regular driving over this time period in a specific spot. If you change the car's suspension geometry, even slightly, the bearings will ride just on the edge of these pits and cause the vibration. Even if you haven't changed your suspension or gotten an alignment, you could have hit a rough pot hole and knocked your rear toe out a little bit, or changed your rear camber ever so slightly. This could cause the bearings to shift and ride on the edge of the pit, causing the vibration on acceleration.

The best way to fix this is to swap the cups. Yes, the cups will wear out again over time (take whatever mileage you have on your car now, and double it... that's when the cups will become pitted again). But you have all that lifespan left in your current cups. There is absolutely no reason to buy new cups or a new axle. This "mechanic" is probably selling you a used axle anyway, with cups that are already halfway there to being pitted like yours.

Do the DIY to swap the cups. I did it, and it solved my issues immediately. I could see the pits on my cups just like in the DIY (less pronounced, but still there). My vibration is gone. I did remove my axles to make it easier to swap the cups. Air tools help if you have access to any, but if not, hand tools will be fine. Just have a breaker bar ready, some of the bolts are on pretty tight. Do the axle nut TSB at the same time. You need a big-ass 1/2" drive breaker bar for that one. Harbor Freight sells them for cheap.

Asking advice then doubting our answers is a good way to never get advice again. We don't mean to be hard on you... just trust us! And like someone else said... if Billman said it, you can pretty much take it as the gospel.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will be doing this soon but need a couple things cleared up how much grease do i put in the cup after i clean everything up?

i will just be taking the cup out not the whole axle so i dont have to get an alignment dont have the money for it right now, what are the torque settings for the bolts i will be taking off? those bands are reusable it i am taking them off carefully right?

i dont really know the members on here very well so didnt know of billman's prestige sorry :S

also i only have a little over 30k miles on it but it was lowered before i got it and still

thanks again for all help
Old 09-10-2012, 01:10 PM

how much grease do i put in the cup after i clean everything up?
- You can always just fill it up and let the excess squish out as you re-assemble, then wipe it down. Honestly, I didn't replace the grease. Just left what was in there be and reassembled. I wouldn't recommend it, but you can do it that way. It is better to clean it out and replace the grease.

i will just be taking the cup out not the whole axle so i dont have to get an alignment dont have the money for it right now
- No alignment necessary, even if you take the axle out. Everything should bolt solidly back up the way it was before. You don't ever mess with any bolts that are used for setting alignment. Though, subtle changes will occur none-the-less. Nothing extensive enough to require a new alignment though.

what are the torque settings for the bolts i will be taking off?
- This one I don't know.

those bands are reusable it i am taking them off carefully right?
- Correct. I bought new bands but didn't end up using them. I reused the old bands. Don't screw them up when you remove them.

i dont really know the members on here very well so didnt know of billman's prestige sorry :S
- Billman is the Jesus to our Christianity.

also i only have a little over 30k miles on it but it was lowered before i got it and still
- I find it strange that it got bad enough to notice after only 30k, but the fact that it has been lowered means that it has been wearing in two separate locations over time. This could contribute.

[/quote]
Old 09-10-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, you pretty much would have to do this yourself if you want to have it done.

NO shops were willing to even explore doing the left-right cup swap. One even told me it was the stupidest thing he ever heard.

I did it myself, and the problem went away.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by sureshot1234
i will be doing this soon but need a couple things cleared up how much grease do i put in the cup after i clean everything up?

i will just be taking the cup out not the whole axle so i dont have to get an alignment dont have the money for it right now, what are the torque settings for the bolts i will be taking off? those bands are reusable it i am taking them off carefully right?

If you would have read the DYI thread we posted , then you would know the answer to all the questions.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:06 PM

I read the DIY and looked at all the pictures he didn't I didn't see him mention torque settings or how much grease to use unless someone asked that later on another page and someone answered and I have looked at a few other DIY as well

Filling it then cleaning up what comes out will work for me and thanks for clearing up the other things as well
Old 09-11-2012, 05:18 AM

That's what we're here for.

Originally Posted by steven975
NO shops were willing to even explore doing the left-right cup swap. One even told me it was the stupidest thing he ever heard.
Hilarious! Goes to show how close-minded some "mechanics" can be when it comes to things they know nothing about. And another reason why I find it worthwhile to be your own mechanic.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:42 AM

ok so i found a diy on s2kca that had all the torque settings i needed last question it brake cleaner a good idea for cleaning out the old grease ? and do the spiders or rollers need to be in specific spots that wasnt mentioned
Old 09-11-2012, 10:49 AM

Try to mark everything you remove with a match-mark in the same area per side. Since you are swapping cups side-to-side, it obviously wont go back together just the way it was, but you can get close. Before you remove, mark a line across the bottom of each cup, and re-install so the marks still line up. Its not that vital, but worth doing.

I wouldn't use brake cleaner. Just wipe the old grease out with a few shop towels/paper towels. No need to spray cleaner or even soap/water down in there. Just wipe them out real good.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:56 PM

thanks now i know everything i need to do the job did my brake pads today and bought some grease for the cv tomorrow or another day

Quick Reply: 2005 s2000 vibrating bumpyness with acceleration