S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2003 odd clutch vibration that only happens once per start

Old 01-24-2021, 07:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2003 odd clutch vibration that only happens once per start

So there is this vibration/judder when near the top of pedal travel when releasing the clutch in 1st after starting the car. Its this buzz you can feel in the accelerator pedal. But it only happens once... once you start driving it doesn't happen again. If I shut the car off and let it sit for a few minutes and start it again, it will exhibit the same behavior again, but only once .

Car has a factory honda clutch, about 500 miles old.

thanks in advance!
Old 01-24-2021, 07:27 PM

Received 1,376 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Are you just letting the RPM dip too low when taking off?
Old 01-24-2021, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
Are you just letting the RPM dip too low when taking off?
Maybe, maybe not. But like i said it only happens once. I can literally drive another 10 ft, push the clutch in, re-engage first and it won't happen again until I shut the car off and let it sit a few minutes.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:47 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Hmmm. Who replaced this factory Honda clutch?

My bet is on the grease used on the splines or maybe the rlease guide being incorrect or insufficient. On initial use it kinda hangs up as it tries to slide. But then grease gets smoothed out and dispersed, and subsequent use it slides more smoothly. Then it gets sticky again as it cools off.

If this is the issue, the only fix is taking it all apart again, removing all the wrong grease, and reapplying correct urea grease.

I would go back to shop and ask what grease was used, and where is it was applied. Ask to speak with the tech that did the work. When they assure you they did it right and used the right grease, immediately demand they bring out the tub and the instructions they followed. When they can't, or take a really long time to produce these, you'll at least know this is your issue.

If its the dealership, expect ridiculous excuses like we use one tub of grease per job, so the tub we used for your job was empty and discarded at the end. Next car we'll order all the parts and grease, and use them all for that job. Or some other lame excuse that doesn't hold up to simple reasoning, to explain why they don't have a tub of urea grease to show you. They didn't have any, so they used whatever stuff they had laying around.

If they say tech doesn't need instructions, has it all memorized, ask him to list all tbe places and how much. Be armed with a printout from service manual to wipe out and when he is done to expose their lies.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:04 AM

One detail I forgot. It does NOT do this in reverse.

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Hmmm. Who replaced this factory Honda clutch?

My bet is on the grease used on the splines or maybe the rlease guide being incorrect or insufficient. On initial use it kinda hangs up as it tries to slide. But then grease gets smoothed out and dispersed, and subsequent use it slides more smoothly. Then it gets sticky again as it cools off.

If this is the issue, the only fix is taking it all apart again, removing all the wrong grease, and reapplying correct urea grease.

I would go back to shop and ask what grease was used, and where is it was applied. Ask to speak with the tech that did the work. When they assure you they did it right and used the right grease, immediately demand they bring out the tub and the instructions they followed. When they can't, or take a really long time to produce these, you'll at least know this is your issue.

If its the dealership, expect ridiculous excuses like we use one tub of grease per job, so the tub we used for your job was empty and discarded at the end. Next car we'll order all the parts and grease, and use them all for that job. Or some other lame excuse that doesn't hold up to simple reasoning, to explain why they don't have a tub of urea grease to show you. They didn't have any, so they used whatever stuff they had laying around.

If they say tech doesn't need instructions, has it all memorized, ask him to list all tbe places and how much. Be armed with a printout from service manual to wipe out and when he is done to expose their lies.