S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2002 Winter Refresh

Old 10-20-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 Winter Refresh

So I picked up a 2002 Higher mileage s2000 with 120,000 mi on it and I am planning a refresh over the winter. I have started to pickup some parts and I am looking for options and suggestions. My main focus is to create a good realiable driver to slowly improve over the next couple of years piece by piece. I am trying not to jump into mods too quickly because I want to A) Not blow the bank and B)not create a car with reliability issues. I will break it down into categories as to my current plans and then take suggestions from there.

Engine
I am going to check the retainers and potentially do the AP2 upgrade on the intake side, based on the mileage I am expecting to find some cracked although I am not sure how the car was driven previously. Now my Question is should I just upgrade the retainers, do springs and retainers, or do anything past that? I didn't really want to pull the head this year but I am also not opposed to it so that it is done right the first time.

That brings me to the second question, which brand of internals is recommended? Supertech, Ferrea etc and which vendors offer the best deals?
While I am refreshing the engine I want to do the Billman TCT, I don't have the noise now but I would prefer to fix it before it becomes an issues.
Are there any other engine specific things I should look at doing? It runs pretty good right now, aside from the fact that it does need a valve adjustment, and I will replace the spark plugs.

Suspension
I have already picked up a set of Fortune Auto 500 Series coilovers. I plan on pulling the suspension apart and refreshing/cleaning and removing the surface oxidization and sealing with POR15. In doing this I figure it's as good of a time as any to replace the bushings, and as far as complete kits go I saw the energy bushing kit was pretty reasonably priced. I will do Balljoints as well since I am pulling it apart for the refresh. I considered doing bearings/hubs but to be honest they aren't making any noise so why fix what isn't broken. Any other suspension suggestions?

Body
I have a couple minor dents to fix, hardest of which is in the lower rocker, but when looking at the car it isn't seen, it is just an OCD part of me that has to fix it. So I am going to try to pop it out from some of the access plugs below. My other question is repairing the lip by the jack points, should I just work it straight or leave it slightly bent? The only other part that needs some work is the front bumper had been repainted due to rock chips previously and the paint work was questionable on it. So I plan on prepping and attempting to repaint it myself. I plan on pulling the fenders, bumpers etc, to check for any potential rust spots and catch them before they grow, rest of the car is clean so I am not expecting any. And fender roll is the last thing I plan on doing.

Brakes
I ordered new premium centric rotors (blanks), pads, and stainless lines, I am going to repaint the calipers and flush the fluid. Should I rebuild the calipers while I have them off or leave them since they don't appear to be leaking at all, but I will get a better look once I pull them.

Aside from that I plan on just replacing all the fluids and cleaning/polishing the car so that it is spotless.

Thanks for the help guys, if anything this just allows me to put down my plan and go from there. I came from a super low mileage AP2 previously so my OCD is killing me on the little stuff, although the car for the age and mileage is super clean, interior is mint, and for the most part the paint is in amazing condition being that it is berlina black and would show all the defects. It was definitely cared for, but I want to be proactive and catch any issues before they arise.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:33 AM

No opinions?
Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 AM

I'd do a compression test first off to see where your motor is at first.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

If the retainers are not cracked there is no need to replace them. They are not a wear item, they are the direct result of an over rev.

If your buying POR and rolling feners toss a little on the lip before rolling, then over the folded part afterwards. This adds a little protection from dirt and moisture getting in there and is very little work to do.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Seems like your on the right track though. Maybe a bit of POR on the underside to freshen that up and the wheel wells. Check the engine/diff mounts as well.

Really though if it isn't broke, don't fix it
Old 10-21-2014, 10:53 AM

Thoughts on half shaft spacers and bumpsteer kits?
Old 10-22-2014, 11:44 AM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Rear bumpsteer kits are decent, but they're not game changers, depends what you use the car for.